thin spots

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ccorts, May 6, 2002.

1. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

Can anyone offer suggestions as to what can be done with thin grass spots. I applied a crab/weed killer last fall and the grass now is sparse and thin. I have had no luck in topseeding and do not wish to rake in topsoil. The area has good sun exposure and can be watered when required, but the soil is fair to poor. Any suggestions in increase denseness is appreciated. I'm concerned that the weeds will again take control if the grass doesn't get a quick head start. Thanks.:(
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Where abouts in Michigan are you? I canhelp you with the fix, I'm sure. Incidentally, this thread will probably be moved to the applications forum. (Ferts. and pesticides.)
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

a fairly heavy app of slow release fert.
    this is not the time to use cheap fert.
  4. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

Have the soil tested and follow the recomendations. I have done this with some problem lawns and have been amazed at the results.
  5. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

Can you tell me a high quality fertilizer that I could purchase for this problem? What would you suggest. When you post "no time for cheap fertilizers" I am confuse as to what that actually is.(AWM help me here) I would buy anything that may work. Ideas?
  6. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Test the soil.

The picture or logo on the bag is meaningless.

The correct nutrients in the correct AMOUNT is what matters.

Test the soil.
  7. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

KENT LAWNS has it right...

Soil Test would always be the first step.
  8. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Put a heavy application (20 to 30 Lbs per 1000) of Milorganite on it and watch it take off. This is what I have done to spots like this for years and it has never failed me. It will help your soil and your grass.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Again, if you tell me where abouts you're at, I can direct you to the most feasible place for a high quality product. Do you have a Lesco around you? I can set you up, but I have to warn you, you better have your blades sharp, and hold on to your mowin' rear end. Stay away from the high N right now. Even though that's about all you see around right now, it's NOT the way to go.
  10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I must agree test the When you are ill and not looking well a doctor does not start dumping things in you and guessing...they test your blood. The turf you manage deserves the same. After the test you will have a good idea of what is wrong and what needs to be corrected next.

If you market yourself good and add on sales of organic matter then both you and the lawn will prosper.