Thin strip of uncut grass...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, May 27, 2004.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Hey... what does it mean when there is just a thin strip of uncut grass.. maybe an inch wide? Kinda between two of the blades... it's the weirdest thing.

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Wrong blades.

3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Could be a few things; blades not sharpened, grass build up under the deck, or bad air flow underneath the deck. My walbehind does it when the grass is real long and I cut too fast or when the grass builds up under the deck.

4. Lawn-Scapes

Wrong blades? Could you be more specific? I am using doubles... Dixie's high lift for 72" on bottom and high lift that fit a 60" on top. You think this combo is doing it?

5. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

silver deck dixies have been known to do that....on another forum there are a lot of threads on how to correct it.

6. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

It means you should have kept your Exmark....LOL J/K

This is with your new Dixie? I have read about your problems elsewhere, and from what I understand your not alone with the streaking problem.It seems like alot of people have had streaking problems with there newer deck design. I wish you good luck in your search for the cure, as I know you have already tried everything that I would suggest per my reading elsewhere.

7. Lawn-Scapes

So this is what they labled as "streaking"? I guess see if I can get it figured out.

Where you located Big Ed? I still have my Exmark..

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys are always talking about using doubles. So I got curios and tried them on my old 36 inch WB I use at home. Didnt cut worth a darn. I think they disrupt the air flow under the deck and it left alot of straglers and uncut grass. I will stick with a single standard blade.

9. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Harford County