1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Things are starting to level off (Calls)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jpocket, May 8, 2006.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

we were getting 10 calls a day for the last 6 weeks, which usually lasts till June. I kinda like it this way my schedule is full, and id rather not have to call 50 ppl. back when I get home at night.

I will say this, the calls I have been getting are for "good" accounts though, high end residential and small Commercial. Now I guess it will be the stray 1 or 2 calls per day until re-bid time, and leaf season ( hell)
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Man they haven't slowed for us! Crap I am having to tell businesses and landscaping jobs (I haven't excepted new residentials for 2 years now) that I can't even get to them to do an estimate for 1-2 weeks. It's crazy! But a good crazy! :)
  3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

send them and some rain my way. If my phone is ringing in this drought, the odds are it is someone with a complaint or a wrong number.
  4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i am getting a slow and steady amount of calls, at least one everyday, and i have a 100% ratio of those who call for an estimate to those who sign up. but i have to start telling people that i can no longer accept weekly mowing jobs.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My phone doesn't ring 10 times a day, if I get 3-4 calls / day that is a lot, most of that is usually from regulars. But in my first couple of years it rang all the time and then I got so tired of it and changed my tune some and here are the main reasons why this is so now:

- No more cheap jobs, minimum is $35 and I am telling you, you don't want to call me and play me the poorboy game when I get out there or really any time. Higher, non-negotiable prices slow things down noticeably.
    - Be on the Up-and-up about getting out there and getting it done. This doesn't slow incoming calls per se, but it does slow the calls of folks wondering where I am, I don't get many of these calls anymore.
    - No bagging, no changing the cut height, no frills and no thrills and no bs (ok, a minimum): No bending over backwards and meeting all their demands and all this fifi and foofoo crap for me. This slows things a little.
    - No sub-standard lots. I mean, the average lawn is one thing I don't mind but I refuse to accept garbage for work. Lots consisting mostly of dirt can see me later, much later. This also slows things a little.
    - No hand-holding and bs'ing on the phone when one calls feeling insecure and no dealing with 'emergencies.' Although the emergency calls fall under eccentricity, I am pretty short with most who call needing me to hold their hand.
    - I'll tolerate eccentricity only in return for plenty of moolah. This slows the eccentricity thou in some respects the calls as well.
    - Putting my foot down anytime it is needed and placing it in strategic locations at times. Also, active pursuit and collection agency action on non-payment issues (ooooh these last two really slow down the calls).

I used to think I'd never survive with the above Zero-nonsense tolerance, but things today are better than ever.
  6. MMLawn

Then your prices are too low. You should never have a 100% land rate if you are charging properly. I realize you are just a teenager but even still you need to charge what the job is worth and again if you are landing 100%.....you aren't.
  7. mike lane lawn care

i certainly am not charging lower than the Job is worth AT ALL, two have said "well the last person was a little cheaper, but you get what you pay for." i charge according to what i think the difficulty is, then the size of the area.
    i charged about $40/cut for 20,000 square feet(a small lawn around here), and my price is more than several othwers. the reason for the 100% land rate is that this a small area, and the people are nice, I present myself nicely, do some small talk and really listen to them about exactly what they want. one person with a summer home has told me "do what you think needs to be done, and send us the bill, we want the place to look good, we know it is going to cost money but that's what it takes" the people around here are mainly upper class people, our school team name is the "Lenox Millionaires" it has been for decades and will be for a while to come.

Oh and for those of you that have read the thread on SUV's vs. trucks, I have an SUV and i still get 100% of the jobs.
  8. MMLawn

I was trying to help you KID.....but screw that and your smartazz self!

I got news for you kid. $40 for a 20K sq ft lawn, ESP in your area is WAY LOW! As to the "vacation home and do what ever it needs" people......that is the one you stated you were cutting for $25 a week... :dizzy:

You know kid I have been seeing some of your post since you joined and you are one of the know-it-all 14-16 year old kids on here that give the other young men also 14-16 that want to learn and KNOW they don't know-it-all a bad name and make the adults on here ignore your know-it-all self. You could take a lesson from MCW on here. A VERY nice young man that wants to learn and is respectful and knows damn well that an adult with 30 years in this business know a heck of a lot more than a 14 year old kid riding around his neighborhood using a homeowner lawn tractor and thinking he is a professional!
  9. mike lane lawn care

do you mow here? no, 20k takes 30 mins. my neighbor has 18K and has a BIG company do it for $30/cut, and they have all the toys. as to the vacation home, there is only like 1k of lawn, But a ton of hardscaping, and a general labor rate of $50/hour, plus materials. i certainly don't mean to come off as a know it all, and i do appolagize if that's what it seems likem but there is no other person on here from the berkshires and so they have no clue what the heck is going on up here as far as rates.
    so you have a lot of expirence, but that is in your area. so i do get defensive when people assume that because i use a home owner mower (by the way, simplicity is borderline commercial, and will last forever, i have not seen a simplicity that has died with less than 4500 hours on it.) and not a scag.
    so i do appolagize if i come off as a know-it-all, but my biz is very sucsesful, i have good equipment, and i do a good job. but do not assume that because you have been doing this for 30 years that your way and your equipment is better.
    the end!
  10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

then i found out it was a child......so he really wouldnt know anything about the real world or how to run a business....... in fact, you arent in business, not yet , just the neighborhood kid.........remember that and you may learn something around here....