1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Things given to you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Got Grass?, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if any of your customers ever give you "things"?
    I'm not talking about tips or money but actual stuff, for nothing/free.

Been odd day for me. Working on a Sat. catching up from my week in AZ.

One customer gave me his Toro 21 inch bagger/mulcher puch mower today. He said it hasnt been used in over 3 years. Said that becasue I cut his lawn so nice he has no use for it anymore.
    Brought it home put in some oil & gas, sharpened the blade, 3 pulls and it started. Works great and may use it as a back up. Also a nice old Ortho seed spreader. Wanted to give me a new eletric blower but I refused.

Another customer today gave me a Swin 10speed, a picture, a suitcase filled with, various A/V cords, old Nitendo games, Nidendo gun, 4 Ping Pong paddles, Car CD adaptors, Calculators, various power & extension cords, CD's & tapes (most my parrents wouldnt even listen to), 100 CD holder, New Sony waterproof Walkman, a plate from Egypt, Ivory camel figures. and otehr stuff.

And another customer is giving me 6 vending machines, the $.25 ones you fill with candy. all I have to do is cut up a old rug to big to put at the curb and throw it at the curb.

Kinda weird. I dunno what I'm gunna do w/ most of this stuff.
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like the one customer saved a trip to the dump!LOL Nintendo stuff, that's worth something, not. I guess the Walkman would be alright to use while cutting.
  3. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

I had one customer ask me to take anything I wanted out of their shed because they were just going to throw it away.I got a brand new toro snowblower a toro push mower and some electric hedge clippers and trimmers which I gave to family members.I just had a lady who was moving :( give me a nice Jade plant.
  4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

I think my little cousin has a old Nitendo to its going there, the walkman dosnt even seem like its been used, I'll use that, The CD Car adaptors are nice becasue the cord on mine is in bad shape, The bike is going to a frined of mine for thier kid. Could prolly sell the Plate and the Ivory on E-bay.

It was mostly thier kids stuff thay left behind when thay moved out. OH yeah I forgot to mention thay may be giving me 3 sets of snow ski's only used twice. Depending on if his wife will let him. Always wanted to go Sking again.
  5. dhicks

dhicks Member

A Customer has given me a 100 year old tobacco knife that I love, gas cans, a Weed Eater Hedge Trimmer and a few antique garden tools. I'm still waiting for the Mercedes.
  6. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I had a long time customer give me a STX38 John Deere tractor, 21 inch Toro sp mower and a weedeater brush cutter. They told me that they were moving and didnt want to take it with them. I got a whole back up set up, but lost some really nice customers. But on the other hand the new owner called me the day after the old owners moved out to start mowing their lawn. Must be a lucky yard!!
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I've gotten a few things, but the best was a Sears Tractor. :D

I hauled it out of his garage so he wouldn't fix it up and try mowing his grass again.
  8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Last summer a man next door to a lawn I cut asked me if I wanted another mower..."uh, I guess, I'll come and check it out..."

Fully expecting to find a rusting hulk of junk imagine my surprise when he opened the shed door and there sat a 1978 I.H. Cub Cadet 1000. He said "I didn't like it as much as my little Snapper... its too darn big" It shows a little over 300 hrs on the meter.

A new shifter ($50), battery, and a little maintanance this thing works like new! I'm in the process of giving it a new paint job and a new seat cover.
  9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Yea, a customer last week gave me a note telling me not to mow the dry dirt areas.:rolleyes:

Thursday a customer just came back from Germany and brought me a bunch of chocolate that I can't read the writing on the wrapper, good stuff!:D
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

wonder what tim german fraulines put inat chocolate.
    here sweety ,next thang he knows ,hes married w 3 younguns an dont remember none of it.:D later