Things I can expand???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Aug 6, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive read threads on here about people who fertilize the lawns after they cut it.
    What type of fertilizer is that?
    Also, where do you get grass seeds, fertilizers, pest control sprays?? What all lisense do I need for them and where do you get them from?

Also, the name I chose this year was Turf Trimmers "lawn care maintenace"....... should I change to " Landscaping"?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Getting into the fert. and chem. aspect of the industry is a whole different ballpark. It is not a trial and error thing that can be indulged in and started on ones own It is something that takes a great deal of knowledge and education - which is why many (most) states require actual trained work experience under a licensed firm before they issue a require license to perform this type of service.

3. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

Runner is right.
    I will give you an example. I am not a licensed applicator and i had a customer ask me about fertilizers I told him that I was not a applicator & I could not recommend anything he stated that he would go by Lowe's and pick up something. HE BURNED 40% of his lawn. Moral " KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING BEFORE YOU DO IT" it could go bad quick

4. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Im mainly looking for something to make the grass healthy, brighter and so on. I want to spray after cuts mabey twice a week to make lawns overall appearence look professionaly done. In return hopeing for my work to be my main advertisement to neighbors and such. Also, Wanting commercial account to look extremely nice when I start getting into them.

Is there anything that works that you dont need a lisense to use? some type of seeding or soil conditioners?

5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

without liceneces dont even try to. its truely a science. fertizled lawns grow more and longer so it is in your best interest to have them done. what i did was found a good small company to do mine for me. when people ask if we do it, i say we work with another company and have them come in and take care of it. they bill the customers directly. the lawns grow more, need to be cut more, more $$ in the bank.

to me its much better to specialize. if your looking to expand, pick up more accounts. those professional fert spreaders are $5,000. i have enough overhead to work off, dont need more

6. SlowMow

SlowMow LawnSite Member

Just thought I'd chip in on this topic....First of all I'm new to the site and want to say thank you to everyone that has contributed. But anyway, the problem with fertilizing your "business lawns" is that different types of fertilizers react differently to different types of lawns. What might make Zoiza grass green, might kill Kentucky Fescue, etc.....

7. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the best option for you is to hire a liscensed contractor to apply on your yards. Pass the cost onto your customer.