Things I Liked at the Irrigation Show

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by sprinklerchris, Nov 6, 2012.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

that is reassuring isnt it

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Or ....

You sub out the BF test, the BF fails sometime later, systems gets contaminated because of irrigation system was installed poorly, you still get sued because you not only subbed out the BF test, but you also get sued for the work that caused the BF incident.

Moral of this story is ...... if someone wants to sue you they will, regardless if a good reason or not exists. If you are afraid of getting sued, then you shouldn't be doing work that opens yourself up to legal action (i.e. working with potable water supplies).

Oh, and the only time I think you should sub it out is when the unit is initially installed. That said, just because you subbed it out doesn't mean you aren't still on the hook if something goes wrong.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I never got sued, never had a problem with testing not only my own installs, but was also the "A" list for the water purveyors in my market. Off course, I had one of these:

www.watts.com/pages/_products_details.asp?pid=907

4. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

All we do is new installs, and repair our systems. We hire a third party to test our new installations. If a customer calls for a yearly inspection and the valve is out of warranty I go and test it. This is because the conflict of interest is over, if it tests bad the customer has to pay me to install a new one. The conflict of interest in testing a newly installed valve is that I will loose money by failing a valve, which I then have to dig up and replace for free.

Maybe a part of this is regional, because cutting out an above ground BF is very easy. Cutting out a DCVA that is 12" deep and plumbed in with pvc, is a whole different story. Instead of a 30 min replacement your talking 2 hours, and a huge hole. All of a sudden that valve on the edge of passing looks pretty good.

5. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

you need some Directors and Officers Insurance! This way they can't come after you if you're the president of your corp (assuming that your company is a corp). D&O went way up this year in CA. Ours went from $6K to over $12K... lots of losses for the insurance companies in CA I guess.

6. Mike Leary

If I saw a lowering p.s.i.d. from last year, the checks got replaced, as well as the relief, if it was an R.P. I only had to remove a couple of deep assemblies because of cracked seats. They were premise isolation and there was nothing I could do, especially since the "plumbers" installed them and never figured on a need for insulation, or they were simply a factory defect.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Well, close enough is NOT good enough, especially in the case of a BF, and if you or anyone else thinks it is, then you deserve to be sued. Further, WTF are you doing burying a new check before you test it. :hammerhead:

A properly installed check should take just as long to pull and replace as any other BF, be it above or below ground.

8. Mike Leary

Agreed. We carried checks, retainers, etc. for Febco and Watts, we would not service any other brands. We spec'd unions on both ends so both checks could easily be serviced. Jerks who don't take backflow seriously should not even consider the trade and leave it to people who have a sense of commitment to community health.

9. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We do not burry them directly, they are in a box. Regardless the valve has to be installed before it is tested. I do not think you understand the logistics of the volume installers. I am not there patiently waiting for the moment the valve is installed. Thes tester comes 1-2 days after installation.

I am not saying "close enough" is good enough for me. What I am saying is that another company many see it as good enough.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You are right .... I don't understand the mentality of slapping it together with some rubber bands and duct tape and collecting your money as fast a you can before anything breaks.