1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

things that make you go HMMM

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HarryD, May 30, 2003.

1. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Today while picking up a BigGulp and a few snacks to start my morning, I step up to pay for my goodies and there is this older guy in front of me. he is balding and wearing a really bad toupee as I get closer I notice that his toupee is going bald :laugh: :laugh: there are big patches of hair missing all over it. I just shook my head and smiled at the cashier. after lunch was on my mower when this young lady about 13 or 14 I'm guessing rides by on her bike with these massive triple double D"S wearing a shirt that said in bold print GOT MILK. I laughed and then thought of the toupee guy :) people are Funny made my day.

then to cap my day off I had to take my 5 year old in to get her physical for kindergarten at the end of the hoops they made her jump through they told me she was going to get 3 shots :eek: when I told her that she freaked. I had to hold her arms above her head while she is screaming with the look of utter terror in her eyes. as these two nurse's jammed the needles into her legs. I am not sure why I thought of this at that moment and this about made me cry . Was Adrea Yates drowning her 5 kids and the utter terror that those little kids went through. I felt pretty bad when they got done and will never forget the fear in my little girls eyes. I held her and told her I was sorry. Now I know why people are afraid of needles. As for Andrea Yates she should have gotten the DP in my eyes for what she did :cry:

Sorry had to put this here cuz nobody reads the off topic except the W bashers
  2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes Harry, The things that make you go HMMM are the finer points of business and life.

The off topic forum is a sham.

This week I was the victim of road rage with the equipment. I kept hearing a horn and thought someone must really be mad at some shank behind me. I ended up being the shank. I was blocking the driveway to a McDonalds. The irate morning breakfast patron wanted to turn from the McDonalds. Every one who has ever visited this Macs knows that you will spend an eternity trying to turn left from the lot...so you turn right and circle the block. This guy still needed to vent and cussed me up and down, actually got out of his car and approached the truck, shook his fist, etc.

I was gridlocked like everyone else, couldn't go forward or backward. I just had to laugh when he posed no more threat. This is not in an intersection, he was out of line, but a newcomer to the local Macs with a short temper and minimal logic.

It is funny how we see life out of our viewpoint never considering how things can and are much more difficult for others.
  3. HarryD

today stopped for a bite at burger king. there was this huge man not really fat just huge in front of me in line he ordered 5 whoppers, large fries and a diet coke. I watched him eat all 5 :eek: He was eating them like you would eat the little burgers in 5 or 6 bites. I bet his parents were glad when he moved away from home :p
  4. Auroris

Auroris LawnSite Member

HarryD, Oh, how your post brought back some bad memories! I can relate to that horrid feeling of having to hold your little one as they jab the terrified child with needles.

We went through that a couple of years ago. It was a new clinic that we were visiting, and the nurse told me I had to hold my son. Well, he was already upset at that point! The lady had NO "bedside manner" at all - she drew the vaccine from the vial right in front of the little 5-year-old. She only got 1 of the 3 shots in his leg before she began to get irate with my son for the fact that he was so scared. I said ENOUGH! We left and will never go back to that doggoned place. My little boy sobbed for over an hour.

The clinic we now go to and our own doctor both are staffed with kind, gentle people who know kids.

I've never had to hold my son as he gets "jabbed" since that horrible day, but will never forget the terror in his screams or the look in his eyes as though I had betrayed his trust in me.

The part that upset me the most was that these were "experts" doing (and telling me how to do) what the "State" requires us as parents to do. And we're charged for that priveledge!
  5. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Observing people is a great way to enjoy a slice of life. We all say the darndest things too. One big imperfect circus. Have you ever seen the film Wings Of Desire? Great movie.

Yup, taking my 8yo and 3yo daughters for their shots was a tough experience on all of us. You wonder what the child is thinking as you help the big bad strangers poke needles into their bodies, then turn around five seconds later and tell them "everything is okay honey bunny........I love you."

??!???!?! and @$%#% must be what's going through their little minds. I love being a Daddy.
  6. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Your a better man than me. If someone got irate with my child (i dont have any) im afraid i would of went "off" on them. Nothing physical, just a good verbal ear-banging. Possibly would of found her boss and done the same thing to them.
  7. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Good thing for the DIET coke ! ??????
    Gotta watch what you eat, right??
  8. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Sometimes when we go to the mall my son and I will set on a bench and wait for my wife and daughter to finish their girl thing. Well we started watching people walk by. Want an eye opener try it. We laugh at what people actually think looks good on them.
  9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I saw a diet guide written by a woman, who said that a diet soda will cancel out the calories in fast food.
  10. HarryD

wonder what she was smoking :confused: