Things that make you go hmmmmm

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Benchmark, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Benchmark

Benchmark LawnSite Member

Scag touts their shaft driven mower to the max. If you think about it, What drives the shaft? A BELT! Is it a break through or a break down?:dizzy:

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I never knew that. That is pretty stupid to have a belt driven shaft if it's supposted to be shaft driven. Tha's the dumbest thing anyone has ever thought of. :confused: :confused:

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't be the dumbest thing anyone has ever thought of with the amount of units they manufacture and sell. And the durability those units have.

I've actually seen pictures of "the dumbest things thought of" right here on this website.

4. Weedburner

Weedburner LawnSite Member

Belts are really a pretty efficient way to transmit power. They also help isolate vibration from one component to another. The big advantage to at least one belt in the system is a point to slip rather than break if something gets caught. Sooner or later we will all find a rope, extension cord, dog chain or big piece of wire with the mower deck.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I hadn't thought about it that way. That does make you go hmmmmmmmmmm.

Gravely_Man

6. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

the point of having a belt and shaft is that the belt is short and not twisted in a bunch of different ways like it is on an exmark. i'm guessing the scag in question has horizontal crankshaft engine.