Things that would void your warranty on a patio.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ocutter, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Just getting underway to send a proposal to a cust. who wants a patio installed. What are some of the things that you would include here that would void your warranty on this type of project. Kinda like the following
    - We will not honor this warranty if said structure is damaged by mechanical means.
    Anyone else have anything to add to this?

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

If it's build right you should be able to run a loader over it.

3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Paul is right ... I cant think of much that could go wrong if properly installed. ... short of a tornado ... those kind of "act of god " things. Only other thing would be oil and gas spills on driveways... that kind of thing that has nothing to do with you .

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I think there are times when a well built patio can get wrecked. Would you run a loader over dry laid bluestone?

5. RoyeDillon

RoyeDillon LawnSite Member

A patio is not designed for a loader to run over it. Unless you use 9+ in base w/ 9000# packer then it can withstand that kind of pressure. Oil, gas & other "acts of negligence of acts of God" i.e. 100 tr old oak crushing it, etc... should just about cover it.

6. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

I always 'evaluate' the job before I give a warranty.

One of the things I hate is new home construction. Usually about a week after the people move in, they want a brand new walk, patio, drive, etc. The problem is, the house is so new that the ground around the building is not settled in yet.......

Beside the thought of digging down to 'virgin' soil (which would be a totally unreasonable idea for a walkway), your going to get settlement in the walk or patio......hek, I've even seen plants settle down around the house a couple of inches!

Also, I agree that properly installed walkway will carry a load, but I believe there are limits.....for instance, I do not suggest that people drive cars across walks and patios........the walk may hold up, but I find the edges get destroyed. That's why I always ask if they plan on driving heavy equipment on or about the patios so I can design accordinging (thicker base, heavier edge restraint, etc.)

Also, I try and evaluate site conditions before I start, and then during excavation. If a strange soil condition is discovered, clay, soil, etc. and it looks like it could be a problem, I talk to the people about the situation and explain that they can either pay extra to alleviate the proble or they can take their chances.

Once I discovered a VERY large stump under ground.......no way I was going to remove it without a large piece of equipment. I notified the homeowner, explained the situation, and gave them prices. They decided to take their chances and leave the stump.

To be able to give a 'complete gurantee' on every project is just not feasible in my mind.

steve

7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

If your building your base and sub-base right you can run a loader over most "Patios" . We use a 6" base on them. A 6" base should support most loaders that will wander into a back yard.

I was at a job we did back in 1993 yesterday. These Parks we do get run over with all sorts of equipment, including tractors and loaders. The pavers had no areas of deformation, and they used loaders to freshen up the play surface mulch every year or two. If your building a patio you need to excavate that 9" a 6" base is what is needed. drives need 12"minumn, walkways I'll leave to the designer but even those I feel need a 6" base. ICPI and most paver manufactors want you to warrenty a paver job for (5) five years!

8. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

We write a 5 year warantee on every project we build and I would honor that even if the patio was hit by a meteorite. I tell all my clients if they have any issues with the work that we have done we are only a phone call away. If you are two years or 5 years past your warantee call me anyway, I will make things right no questions asked. I love doing warantee work, you can't buy the kind of PR you get from doing warantee work.

9. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

On the back of our installation contracts we have separate warranties for the different aspects of the landscape. Plant Material, lawn installations, and hard scaping.

The disclaimer reads:
    The replacement warranty is void if the circumstances that lead to the decline, death, deterioration, damage or destruction of the plant material, turf or hardscape are beyond the direct control of Lawn Lad, Inc., such as but not limited to, neglect by the customer acts of God, drought or severe weather.

If they drive a car over a sandstone patio - we won't replace it at our cost. But then again, we explain the limitations of the hardscape up front to them as it has been designed.

10. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Here's our contract limitatiopns:

BRICK PAVING/RETAINING WALLS
    Stonehenge warrants that brick paving or retaining wall material used in this contract will be free from defects and the installation will be functional for a period of two (2) years from the date of completion of the Contract, provided the installation was used as was intended when the Contract was designed, and was not misused. Any repairs/replacements made to any installation after expiration of the warranty will be made at Customer's expense. Any repairs made to any installation by any party other than Stonehenge voids any warranties offered by Stonehenge.