Things we have ran over

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerdude777, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

If you think tennis balls fly far, try lacrosse balls. I shot a lacrosse ball about 200ft in the air hit the ground bounced off a tree and into a field. Probably would of gave a car a pretty good dent.

2. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

oh oh oh oh

i FINALLY did it. i splattered a piece of poo.

although it was a little less dramatic, a small piece bounced off my boot. now, the mushroom i hit after that. it splattered all over my face.

3. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Tennis balls seem to get cut up and don't take the full force of the impact. But rubber dog toys, they don't break at all. The kennel we cut is suppose to clean up the toys, but they don't do a very good job. I have hti countless toys which have easily done a couple hundred feet.

4. themadcutter

themadcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from florida

this thread has been going a long time so I'm not sure if I have posted this before.

I have hit all the usual stuff. only 2 stand out. An old dry town circular that went all the way from left to right and it seemed like every bit of it got chopped up. that was a mess.

And a good reason to always wear safety glasses when mowing.

Some one left a pair of needle nose pliers in a lawn. my mower shot them out, they hit my truck tire (about 4 feet away) as I was turning and then half the pliers hit me in the face right over my eye. it hit so hard the pliers put a deep gouge in the glasses and compressed the glasses right into my eye ball. it HURT.

Looking at the gouge in the glasses it was clear the half of a needle nose pliers would have been sticking out of my eye if I had not been wearing the glasses

5. pinecrestwoods

pinecrestwoods LawnSite Member

Holy crap! Glad you wore your shields

6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Kong chew toys will fly pretty good.

7. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

A baby bird just learning to fly :( That made me very sad. Dang thing stuck its head up out of some taller grass about 10" in front of my zero and I couldn't stop in time. Call me soft hearted but if I see even a frog in front of me I'll wait till it passes or get off and move it with my foot to get it out of the way.

8. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

I had a new employee cost me $300 this year. A/C blower motor went out on my truck. He called me to let me know. I told him to check the fuse box to see if the fuse was blown. Called me back an hour later said now the truck was doing all kinds of weird electrical things, no speedometer, no lights, just all screwed up. I asked if he saw if the blower motor fuse was blown, he said no. Next day I took truck to the shop (dealer) and told them all the electrical stuff going on. Turns out he had messed with MANY fuses, didn't get them back in the right spots causing many to blow. Cost to track down the problem and put fuses back where they belong... $300. Learning to never let an employee mess with my truck... priceless. What the dealer charged I still think is BS but I didn't even think about looking at the fuse box myself after he told me all these things were now happening to the truck. He still swears that he only pulled and replaced one fuse and I now know that's not the case, but I'm the one that asked him to check it so I just ate that $300. I didn't fire him. Then a few weeks later he launched a rock through a glass storm door costing me over $200. That's the story of my life - when crap can happen it happens twice! But again, sheet happens like that in this biz and the previous year I broke a similar glass door, even being as careful as I could be. Makes me mad as heck but when you run equip like we and our employees do, stuffs going to break and get broken every now and then, no matter what precautions you take.

9. KG26

KG26 LawnSite Member

Tennis ball the other day.

10. Middle Tennessee Lawn

Middle Tennessee Lawn LawnSite Member

Well I have hit lots of stuff but not as drastic as some of you but will give you some of my memorable ones
    #1 all time a water hydrant only 3 or 4 " high in the center of a huge front yard and the handle was not red in color at all mowed off nicely worse even was galvanized water line!
    I have hit many rabbit holes usually only blasting the rabbit fir the mother puts on top for insulation. But i sucked 5 little ones out years ago.
    I hit a electric company grounding rod this year only dulled blade but was quite impact.
    Also hedge oranges are fun to mow they were huge this year
    Last very fresh on mind only happened month or so ago i was crossing customers drive near the road and a big box crew was driving bye and just as i waved I swear I was not near it I sucked a newspaper up and it came out against the wind just like a real confetti machine very embarrising it took 3 of us 30 mins to pick it all up. I can only imagine how that crew laughs about what they saw the company they were with employees 3700 full time lawn care so im sure it will be big laugh at company meetings
    Posted via Mobile Device