1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Things we've sucked up with leaf loaders

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by alexschultz1, Nov 26, 2013.

Here's a funny one that happened yesterday.
    Somehow my muffler clamps for my loader let go and sure as sh@t I sucked it right up!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. 35DollarLawns

35DollarLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I caught a boot, a can of vegetables and last week we had a job prepped and some a€£ hole placed like 20 sunday papers which were water soaked and frozen 3 minutes in and it sounded like machine gun fire. It bent the impeller quite bad. I guess next year I will be getting a little wonder vac
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, thought you were in the south? Frozen newspapers messing up an impeller? Must've been solid bricks of ice?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  4. 35DollarLawns

35DollarLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Solid enough . We had several days of 20s for night temps. But the number of papers in the pile makes me think the competition.... Or the paper boy had better things to do then deliver them?? Never know.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow. Gets awful cold up here in Pa. and never heard of anything like that. Can't imagine 20+ frozen Sunday newspapers fitting in the tube, especially without seeing them or being solid ice. Definitely bizarre.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Anything with decent weight (brick, small rock, chunky stick) will get caught in the 'belly' of the intake tube. Happens to us all the time. How a brick gets to the impeller, I have no clue….. wtf?!

I'm thinking 18hp briggs…

Anyway, I once sucked up a really nice Patagonia fleece jacket. That sucked to the tune of 150.00
  7. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty sure I sucked up a bottle of water today
  8. zackman_9936

zackman_9936 LawnSite Member

Dog Poop has to be the worst.

I almost had a little hand trowel go through, luckily I caught it just before it went up.
  9. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

Chicken, Cooked whole Turkey, pumpkins, bags of flour, glass bottles, pies (pecan & pumpkin) plates, silverware, bowl of stuffing, an "inflatable party girl", Dead cat, bat guano (from inside a cave outside SA, TX.) golf balls.

Things to watch out for that I've picked up but shouldn't: beach towels, carpet, boots, shoes, 2"x4" chunks, 4"x 4"chunks, wet phone books (as dangerous to the machine as wet or frozen news papers).
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  10. Eric's Lawnservice

Eric's Lawnservice LawnSite Member

Now that's how you clear the table after thanksgiving! Tell the wife "no problem I've got it honey go rest"
    Posted via Mobile Device