Things you gotta see to believe

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SCL, May 28, 2001.

1. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

The other day I visited a customer on our to do list to find out his choice of retaining wall color and decided to drive by a house that I gave an estimate to the year before. House had about 15' to the lot line and about 10' of drop. About 60' long. Shot the guy a pretty fair price on a quality retaining wall as he also needed a lawn and two other small walls. They whined about their cost overruns etc... so I new I'd never get it. On my drive by I almost LMAO. They were stacking landscape timbers (not 6x6, the 3x3.5 jobs) and had them up almost the full 8'. No deadmen nothing that I could see. Where there's a will there's a cheap pocketbook and a dangerous wall.

2. Shack

Shack LawnSite Member

There will be dead men when the Wall Comes Tumbling Down.

3. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL shack.

and, 'to each his own'. They probably think its the 'best dam looking wall in town'

steveair

4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

We need to see a picture of it!

5. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Penny wise and dollar foolish.

Jim L

6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

They'll save a penny now, and spend twice as much when that P.O.S. Needs torn down and done right!

They'll learn, hopefully sooner than later, but they'll learn!

7. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

that might be better than this, i drew up a design for a landscape, retaining wall evrything, i listed all the plants the size of the beds, everything, that should be on a design, i gave it to the homeowner to look over, this was about a month ago, after time and time again trying to get ahold of them i go to give a bid on a seed job in the area, geuss what it was behind the house i gave the bid for the landscape, the homeowners were doing it them selfs, and using my desidn to do it with. anyway i can get money for the design. since they did use it.

8. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Did you copyright the design? If not you might be out of luck!

9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

joshua... did you have a agreement upfront...so much $$$ for the design??? more detail please...

10. bkworks

bkworks LawnSite Member
    from NW

I would suggest in the future to not give the design to them unless they pay. I have drawn up the design, but if they don't sign the contract or pay for my time...good luck (but not with my plan).