Things you hate most about this.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MileHigh, May 14, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Post the things that you just would rather not have to deal with each day cutting...pertaining to the maintenance guys.

Here are some of mine.

trimming
    edging
    cleaning up
    running out of line
    trimming (i know it's already up there)
    customers that come outside each and every week your there:dizzy:
    mowing in the rain
    heat
    grass in my eyes
    grass on my pants
    grass on my sunglasses
    grass on my everything
    dog shirt on my mower tires
    trimming
    trimming
    the first account always makes me hungry
    the last four resis of the day:dizzy:
    accounts I underbid
    stupid people

there more...i'm just to tired to think.

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I hate not having a shop big enough where I can store my trailer. Get done with my full time job for the day, rush over, hook up my trailer, rush to the shop, load up the trailer, and start. I hate getting ready to mow. Everything else I just take it as it is.

3. Cboy7

Cboy7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Fl

I dont like every aspect of the business but wow, At the end of the week like this , I take a nice deposit to the bank, thank the good Lord I have a job and I go have me some free time. yeeeeeeooooooooww

4. dhunterd08

dhunterd08 LawnSite Senior Member

the things you listed just made me laugh, because i can identify with each one. The worst has to be grass inside shirt, wind only blows when i am blowing everything off and in opposite direction of way i am blowing, underbided customers who are analy about everything, and having to clean under deck while in the field

5. Cboy7

Cboy7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Fl

me walking home from bank
    [​IMG]

6. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

There's a couple of residentials who have slopeing yards down to the lake-----can't get to them with the Z----must use trimmer and push mower

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I like everything about it.

If I had one big beef it would be mowing wet grass. Clumps, clogs the deck and sticks to everything.

8. tstutz

tstutz LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

I would have to say grass and weeds all over my left pant leg while im trimming! I also dont like the time i spend straping and unloading/loading the trailor.

9. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Residential....I'm hoping in two or three years to be doing mainly commercial and high end residential. Regular residential blows because there is a ton of competition and no one wants to pay ****.

10. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Here's my list....

-Excessive trimming
    -running over doggy "landmines"
    -strapping/unstrapping equipment on the trailer
    -bagging when I could be mulching, but because the customer would have an M.I. if I didn't collect the grass
    -coming upon a snake in a lawn
    -running out of mix in the middle of the day
    -paying the fuel bill to fill up the truck and mower
    -emptying a trailer full of grass that has sat for more than 8 hours
    -unexpected problems in the middle of the day
    -not being able to find a parking spot near the account when neighbor's are having parties or garage sales.
    -children's toys that are left in the lawn week after week
    -customers' dogs who aren't very nice
    -customers who come out to talk to me for no reason (I try to be personable but I can only take so much)
    -forgetting to bring enough bottles of water for the whole day and no where close to a gas station or home to get some more
    -running out of trimmer string on the last lawn of the day
    -not being able to say "no" to a request of a customer (usually something like hauling a bunch of brush that I don't have time for)
    -having my radio-tunes run out of batteries in the middle of the day
    -emptying the grass in the trailer at the end of a long/bad day when I just want to get home and put the day behind me
    -working in extreme weather (below 50 or above 80....but I live with it)
    -putting all the billing info into quickbooks at the end of the day (I usually get around to it but its usually 2-3 days after I do the job...thankfully its all written down on paper too)
    -mowing in the fall when the leaves are soaking wet after a day or two of rain
    -mowing crappy properties (some pay well but I just like doing the nicer properties better)