Things you SHOULDN'T say to the customer

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by zechstoker, Oct 12, 2012.

1. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

My opening statement: I service a ranch home on Fridays, and the home owner has some chickens, roosters, and cattle on the property. More cattle than anything, but anyhow I was warned on the first day about these roosters being aggressive. He told me to keep an eye on a couple of them because they've been known to "sneak up and attack people". Last week while I was there, I let my guard down while putting a gas can in the back of the truck, and what do ya know... One of the roosters sneaked up from behind, and attacked the back of my leg. About 20 minutes later, the home owner came out, and I told him what his rooster did. At first he seemed shocked, but then told me about how those roosters try that with everyone who comes around. Also said he was thinking about taking a hatchet to it, and making some chicken soup later (jokingly I assumed).

Anyways... I go out there today, and that rooster's hanging out in the front yard again, but this time the home owner (and his grand daughter) was outside. I told him "I'm keeping my better eye on that rooster today, but if he tries anything, he's gonna catch the business end of this line trimmer." He seemed to think it was funny, but his grand daughter certainly didn't think so. Was I being "out of line" or offensive? Feels like I shouldn't have said what I did, but honestly, I've dealt with one too many animals attacking me in the past, and I'm just tired of dealing with people who don't control their animals.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Hopefully you weren't "out of line" on your trimmer...I'd buzz that ****** head in a heartbeat if he came after me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

OMG, I'm calling PETA!!!! I wouldn't worry about it.

My last account of the day yesterday. My customer, a retired senior citizen but not ancient or anything, comes out as she always does to move her car. I'm talking to her about her lawn and meant to say Crab Grass but said Crab Ass instead, at which point I jokingly apologized for insulting her. We chatted a bit more and then as she was walking to her back door to go back inside I said "see you in a few weeks Crab Ass." I just couldn't resist, LOL. Mind you this is my 11th season servicing her lawn and we know each other pretty well.

4. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Not exactly something I would verbalize.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Just need to remember to put the verbal filter in place around young kids and well-to-do people.

6. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

I normally do, but kinda slipped up today. I've said worse things to other customers, but like Darryl, I knew them longer, and that level of comfort was already in place. As for this one, I've been on the job there less than 2 months, so we really haven't gotten a chance to get that well acquainted just yet.

7. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes you're the rooster, sometimes you're the hen.

Just my $0.02

8. juspayme

juspayme LawnSite Senior Member

one lawn guy I know had a customer come out and start complaining about how high the grass got, he told her its been raining alot, she didnt want to hear it and told him he should hire more people then, he told her just to go back in the house.

9. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

i thought your post was going somewhere completely different. I thought you were going to say something about his **** hanging out in the front yard.

10. iand

iand LawnSite Senior Member

you should definitely not have said what you did now when he comes home and finds a headless rooster you're the 1st person he'll blame