1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Thining out woods to plant some grass...

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by shelbymustang616, Mar 17, 2011.

1. shelbymustang616

shelbymustang616 LawnSite Member

I looked at a job today where a potential client asked about her backyard. We walked back and she showed me her neighbors yard. They had some of the woods thinned out trees no bigger than 4 inch caliper and had grass planted. Im pretty confident about the job but i figure I could thin out some tree to let some light in, remove the stumps and other junk. Once its all cleaned out to prevent new unwanted growth is there anything i can do to prevent that, or should i throw down a layer of topsoil, fertilizer and seed it, any suggestions?

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It depends a lot on what is growing there now and how much wild weed pressure exists... I would thin and clean up this year and watch it throughout the summer and seed in the fall... Fall is best anyways... :)

3. shelbymustang616

Hey Thanks for the reply, good stuff to know, think I could suggest laying sod?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Smallaxe

The area would have to be clean, loose soil with enough sun... :)

5. dandd75

dandd75 LawnSite Member

Also Turf Type Tall fescue does the best in shade.

6. shelbymustang616

ok good to know. Should i till the soil or just bring new soil in?

7. Smallaxe

If tilling means , busting up a lot of tree roots of living trees then I personally would not till. Those roots would need to be removed. The trees that are still left alive should not have their crowns buried in dirt, but a couple inches over the area should'nt hurt anything... If you could put down straight compost, that would be your best case scenario...

8. shelbymustang616

I figured putting down an inch or 2 of soil, seeding and starter fertilizer then straw. Does anyone have other suggestions or seed they have had good experience with.

9. Smallaxe

An inch or 2 of good soil is probably adequate... Just don't go wild with ferts and water if there are a number of trees around...

And mulch mowing is most important in a forestted area... It creates a micro-eco-system that the trees do not allow... :)

10. shelbymustang616

mulch mowing?