Thininking of jumping into the firewood biz next year. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Firewood' started by BadRancher, Jan 12, 2011.

1. BadRancher

BadRancher LawnSite Fanatic

I've been thinking of getting into the firewood business next year? What are thoughts from those of you who do it? What type of wood splitters and etc?
    Just looking for a way to supplement my winter income on a part time basis.

There is not really spot in the forum for this, so I posted in Comm. & Res. mowing since I know a few of you guys do it.

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

The first thing is to secure a dependable way to get free wood, or paid to haul off wood. If you can get a tree company to pay you to haul off the wood then that would even be better for the bottom line. As far as log splitters go get one bigger than you think you will need. BTW I have one for sale if interested, PM me sometime.

3. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

You may be able to get in with one of the tree services. They just chip everything up. They may let you come in and cut up some of the trees that they would just chip up anyway. You would be doing them a favor.

4. BadRancher

True. I'm also lucky enough to have some private family land. How do you guys sell it? Kindling, by cord or half-cord etc?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

They usually don't chip anything that is large enough for firewood (10"+ diameter) it takes a really big chipper to handle that kind of load.

6. BadRancher

I used to have a "hook up" if I would have been doing it a few years ago. A few of my friends were from Boise, ID and they moved their tree service down here after Katrina, but they recently moved back to Boise, ID and Tuscon, AZ.

7. BadRancher

Anyone else have any info or advice?

8. lyndont

lyndont LawnSite Member

I have 6 acres of black jack oak trees mostly in oklahoma and was wondering if people would use that as firewood or not. I have heard yes and no from people here. What are your thoughts.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. BadRancher

Google black jack firewood and look at the first link. I think you may be in business with that wood.

10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Cross Timbers Blackjack and Red Oak hardwoods combine maximum BTU output with an ultra-clean burn along with a less overpowering smooth smoke flavor.

I found this while doing a search on blackjack oak trees.

I started selling firewood this year. I have a friend with a wooded area (aprox. 8acres) with at least 20 very large red and white oak trees that are dead. He said come and get them when you get the time. I already took 5 trees out. In those 5 trees I got 8 cords of wood! These suckers are huge. 30+inches in diameter and a good 50ft tall. Possessing firewood is a very time consuming and hard labor for the return. I've only sold 4-5 cords where other guys in my area are selling 200 cords in a season! I can't fathom how much room I'd need to store 200 cords of wood. If my math is right, that's 25,600 cubic feet of space needed to store it. That's bigger then my house!