Thininking of jumping into the firewood biz next year. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Firewood' started by BadRancher, Jan 12, 2011.

1. aroddy

aroddy LawnSite Senior Member

Texarkana Tractor is my sthil dealer- and that is where the BS is coming from lol Warranty ran out so no worries there.

The trees I get is the WHOLE tree- you can jus cut the trunk and leave the top just laying around. Plus customers around here like the "little round peices" a lot. So as your cutting the top and cleaning up at the same time, thats a lot of work and sawing- therefor the fuel consumption. Plus I split all my wood where I cut the tree. I tried loading it and slitting and stacking it somwhere else but think about this. You cut it and split and deliver/stack the wood. Your touching each peice- 2-3 times. If your taking it somewhere else to split/stack. Your touching each peice 4-5 times... Jus saying its a little more work. And if you deliver your stacking it back ok the trailer and then stacking it at its destination. So 6-7 times its getting handled... Now if your not delivering then you get the right Idea! PLus the splitter I have is a 10hp honda- it drinks the fuel

2. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Just checked Craigslist for this area. Cords of seasoned oak are selling between $100 and $150 per cord, delivered.

3. aroddy

aroddy LawnSite Senior Member

Around texarkana ar/tx area its $130-160 delivered

4. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

$500 for a decent saw, $1000 for a decent splitter, wear and tear on that equipment, truck, trailer (if used), fuel, oil, labor....... I don't know. I just can't add it up and make it profitable enough to make me want to pursue it. I already have a good saw, and I cut some wood for my own use. Like I said, I enjoy doing it, but I only do it at my leisure, not all the time. If profits were higher, maybe. But it's a lot of work for that kind of money if you ask me. And I'm not even sure if a rick will bring the kind of money around here that some of you guys are getting. I have access to plenty of dead trees to cut, but I don't wanna bust my tail all day for a $50 profit after expenses.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yes, I meant TON. Also, they make the 4-way wedges that just slip on top of your existing 2-way wedge, but don't know how they work.

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I take EVERYTHING, including all the smaller stuff. You'd only handle it 3-4 times through the process. Loading the cut pieces, dump and split then throw on pile, load and then unload at customers house. I just throw the wood on the trailer. I already know how much needs to be on the trailer thrown loose so no need to waste the time stacking it on the trailer. I don't stack the wood unless they want it stacked. I charge $160 delivered or $190 delivered/stacked. All nice red and white oak. I love the smell when the garage is loaded with a fresh batch. :)

7. ALC-GregH

from PA

Here's a pic of when we got started earlier this year. The pile in the back is 2 trees after splitting and one laying ready to split.

[​IMG]

8. BadRancher

BadRancher LawnSite Fanatic

I likes it! What type of splitter do you have?

9. BadRancher

BadRancher LawnSite Fanatic

What do you guys get for cedar kindling?
    Also do you guys bust into any small pieces and sell for kindling?

10. ALC-GregH

from PA

It's got a Cub Cadet sticker on it that I'm not exactly proud of but hey...... Troy Built make the exact same thing. I paid $1300 for it new.