Think I killed the lawn

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by kirk1701, Apr 2, 2009.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

HELP!
    My beautiful lawn I seemed to have just FUBARED big time and hoping someone can tell me if this is permanent.

I sprayed the side of the yard using Spectracide Weed StopĀ® plus crabgrass killer to control crabgrass, mint and chick weeds coming up in new grass. By new grass I mean I planted last November, mowed last nov. and mowed 4 times so far this spring so its new to me but matured.

I used this Weed Stop last year, same bottle in fact and it didn't do this so now I'm scared I killed the lawn. Here's a pic but I will also note I sprayed along the street and up the driveway where weed seed from other yards have blown and there is no damage or yellowing in that area so whats the deal?

IMG_0799.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

Have you checked for grubs or high acid...I see a pine tree off to the right of that pic. Maybe you need to lime the yard?

3. kirk1701

Not grub, I put down grub control two weeks ago to deter moles. As for acid, LOL you probably better see my fertilizer thread it turned into an argument over all the lime I applied.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=256595&page=2

4. kirk1701

OK I got some better pics for everyone today, it don't look as bad this afternoon then it did last night, but we did get two inches of rain overnight :)

It is pretty clear from the closeups the Spectracide Weed Stop has burned more then just weeds, Even the grass that is seeding is brown :confused:

And to think this is the area I literally worked my ass off blood sweat and tears last fall to get looking this great and now I'm afraid I destroyed it all in one hour :dizzy:

Any advice would be appreciated and could this had been caused by applying hours after I mowed?

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  5. kirk1701

More pic's.
    These are wider views and in the second pic is a very distinct line where I stopped.

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

6. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

Ok...so maybe there was just too much fertilize. Since the rain seemed to help, I would be that the fertilize was the problem. With more rain and cutting, you're yard will probably get back to its old self.

You should have done your fertilizing in the morning when there was a dew still on the grass or do it right before a rain. You want the fertilizer to get into the soil, not to stay of the grass itself. If you applied in the hot of the day, you could burn the yard.

7. kirk1701

Thats just it, the Spectracide Weed Stop is a weed killer only not fertilizer?

8. kirk1701

UPDATE!
    I just got off the phone with Spectracide who said I should be OK. :cool:

Can you tell I'm worried? :) Anyhow I was told a little yellowing was fine, was asked how long it has been since it came out of dormant and said for me to water 15 minutes a day for the next couple a days and if it don't get any better by next Friday to call back and they would set up a claim. :confused:

Sice we just got 2" last night and more rain on the way plus some snow I don't think I need to pull out a water hose.

One things for sure, next time I use it I will cut the recomended mixture in half. Stretch the bottle twice as far too

9. kirk1701

Another question for you all, this just caught my attention and shown in the pics above.

The grass is seeding and the majority of what seems to be turning brown is the stems to the seed and the blades of grass on the stems and the seed itself so would the seed be concidered weed not fescue?

Maybe I put this down too early?

10. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

looks like you can shapen your blade.