Think I'll regret it?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Willofalltrades, May 6, 2008.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I decided to take a job with a considerably larger landscaping company instead of working on my own venture. I think I made the right decision. I ordered a new Ford Fusion, have financial security, and benefits. I think right now, being 19, I need to focus on getting my feet on the ground, establish credit, save money, and focus on school instead of getting stressed about the business. I have plans in a few years to go back out on my own. I think that's the only way I will be happy is working for myself. Its just to big of a headache now. I hope I don't regret it.

I plan on keeping the new Cub Cadet Tank and all hand tools for the future... Just in case (all paid off). I'm selling the truck and trailers... but that should be easy to get back when I decide to go on my own again... think it was a good move?

The company I am going to work for could really teach me a lot... and the pay isn't to shabby lol.

2. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good move. Does this company offer other services other than lawn maintenance? Do they work with a landscape designer. Do they do landscape installs? Do they have an experienced hardscape crew? Sounds like you have cutting experience so running a crew for awhile might be good experience. If they do landscape instals and hardscape try to get in with them. Learn all you can for 2,3,4 years. You'll step out on your own again in a few years with more experience and confidence. Good luck!!!

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

This is the most important thing in your post. Think long-term, and don't compromise your education for the sake of short-term money. You have 45 years of working life ahead.

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a good plan.

5. ODwyerPW

ODwyerPW LawnSite Member

I applaud your humility and good sense. Way to go. Excellent plan. Sell those trucks and trailers and pay down that Ford Fusion while you are at it too.

No debt is the key to keeping your options open.

6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

Good plan, I'd unload that paid off gear now too, who know what will happen in 4 years time and maybe you'll realize you like a different aspect of landscaping more and you wont need it.

7. Willofalltrades

Yes they do. I will work on the maintenance side for a little bit and eventually learn to do more.

I appreciate your support on this guys... it wasn't an easy decision...

8. Willofalltrades

Oh and the reason I got the new car was to build credit... So I plan to pay $400 a month on a $325 payment... The truck might get sold... I'm playing around with taking it to some chevy swap meets and putting a for sale sign on it... I really don't need it.

9. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking this too. In some states in order to get your landscapers license or Ornamental Turf and Pest Control licence, you have to work in the field and have some experience. David worked for Chem-Lawn back in the day when he was in his early twenties, and it helped step him into OTPC spraying for his own buisness.

Its good to get work experience that will help you reach your future goals.

Good luck!

10. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

What are you going to school for?