Think this mower will be OK???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clemsonfan69, Nov 23, 2004.

1. clemsonfan69

clemsonfan69 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Im from Florida and new to the biz. I plan on doing mostly residential houses, not to many open properties.

With the help of an investor (parents) and cash I have saved up, Ive already picked up equipment, trailer, etc. My question is about my mower:

Used Dixon 42" Zero-Turn (The guy I got it from just put new tranny, bushings, blades, bearings, belts, everything) - $1000.

Is this mower too big for residential mowing???

-CJ

2. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

What size are your residentals?? How many sq. feet?

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

clemsonfan--have you considered what you'll use in the gated rear yards?

GEO

4. clemsonfan69

from Florida

I also have my handy (lol) push mower.

Ive thought of saving a little more cash and getting a walk-behind as well (maybe 20-30" range) but thats gonna be a little pricey.

To be honest, Im glad you mentioned gated back-yards, it never crossed my mind. What does everyone else do in those situations?

-CJ

5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

do you have any accounts yet? I would use your push mower until you figure out how many backyards with gates you will have. if it's not to many just keep the 21". check especially how wide the gates are, if they are over 4ft wide no problem, if not your looking at buying either a 36" or 32" mower. or slogging away with the push. check out the quick 36 from better outdoor products. (they have a banner at the top of the page) or go to www.betteroutdoorproducts.com it looks like it would be perfect for what your doing.

hope this helps.

6. clemsonfan69

from Florida

The walk-behind looks really nice.

LOL Check the top "Clemson University uses Quick 36"....(ie. My screenname).

-CJ

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have used a 52" on residential lawns before, and now I use a 48". So a 42" I feel is not too big

8. clemsonfan69

from Florida

How long did it take you to really be 'good' driving it?

Im having problems turning, ie.) We have a pole in our yard and I keep trying to circle around it, close radius like you see all the pros do, but I hit the pole or either leave areas untouched.

Is there a way to do this?

-CJ

9. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

just curious to know if the dixon is blue and if it is ive been told they dont hold up very good

10. clemsonfan69

from Florida

lol actually it is blue. howd you know?

-CJ