Think youve seen it all?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tamadrummer, Dec 7, 2007.

1. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to preface this with saying that I am new to the whole being a business owner part of the lawn service / landscape maintenance industry. I have worked for others but not myself. So in saying this, I am pulling my trailer with a 2004 Jeep Liberty until I can afford to buy a truck. I don't tailgate and have trailer brakes even though I am rated to tow 5000 lbs.

Now saying that I am working out of a Liberty, I was out bidding on a renovation job yesterday in a trailer park and what do I see driving down the road..... A stinking golf cart with a small trailer and a ZTR on it. Holy cow, talk about low or no overhead.... You are kind of stuck in your territory but man, I am totally embarrassed with my Liberty, but I am getting the job done with the right equipment in my trailer. It did not look like they had a trimmer/edger or anything but a Z.

Anyone else seen something like this before?
  2. pictures next time.
  3. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

Before I had my drivers licence I had to dive from lawn to lawn in an old lawn tractor with a cart and a 21" snapper and all my stuff in the back. Then when I bought my 32" walk behind I had to walk behind it to all my yard with the trimmer strapped to the mower and my backpack blower on my back. That SUCKED.
  4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I was dumbfounded by the sight of it. I didn't think to get out my camera but I will try to remember if they drive by since I got the job and will be doing it next wednesday.

It was a Toro Z and like I said I just looked and was stunned by the sight. :hammerhead:
  5. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

If heard of similar rigs before and there are some pics on here of several.

Before i had a truck, trailer, other mowers and driver's license i hauled all this stuff and sometimes more around the neighborhood.:weightlifter:

:laugh:LOL now i can't believe i had that much ambition but it worked and helped get me to where i am now.

DSCF3686   redwagon1.jpg

DSCF4305 stuffall.jpg
  6. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen a couple of golf cart LCO rigs before too. There is a small costal island that we go to on vacation each year. Seems golf carts are the main transportation source on the island. There is one or two LCOs that use a golf cart with a bed on the back (Like a work horse), and they pull a trailer around the island. It is neat. This is a small gated island. Only about 500-600 year round residents. Lots of nice vacation homes to maintain though. I thought the golf cart idea was ideal for this situation.
  7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Heck yeah. A profit making machine. A good example of fitting equipment to needs.
  8. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

We have two or three old dudes that pull wagons behind their department store tractors with mower, rake, broom, etc. One is even nicely hand-lettered "Yard Work" on well made stake-sides. I don't know how big a route they run, one is just in my neighborhood but the deluxe dude I see traveling the easement of our main highway for 5 or so miles. Good on them I think. Not only do they probably not have a business license but I suspect they don't have a driver's license either.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You sure there wasn't a golf course nearby with their own maintenance team doing stuff? :)

On another note I've been tempted to buy a used Golf cart and rig it up with a boom sprayer, just not sure how well it would do on inclines. Now you wouldn't see me driving it down the road, but seeing me drive it you would, if I do that.
    They're only a couple of g's used, might even be a good thing to use in certain neighborhoods and if you have employees, but once we get into hauling trailers with Ztr's I am a bit mystified.

After all, why not use the Z itself to haul the equipment?

That's a real pretty model 30197 48", I'd guess a bit older and more worn by now.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It wouldn't have been the use of a wagon that would have cracked me up since I've seen that before. It would have been seeing the wagon parked at the curb with orange safety cones.:)

But really, you had a nice clean setup there with professional equipment. There's nothing wrong with that.