1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thinkin bout a break from mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rob's Lawn Care, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Rob's Lawn Care

Rob's Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I think it may be time to sell out and concentrate on other interest such as my other full time job which i need to pay the bills and live comfortable. I might as well own it to after 14 years. i just had another Birthday this weekend (36 and holding) and i have been thinking a lot for a while about a lot of stuff.
    My priorities, family and son, simple and complecated issues, where am i going in my life and what to do. So many questions and so little time i have learned. i know it is up to me and god, but just wanted to tell someone what i was thinkin. so it might as well be fellow mowing people.
  2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Wish you the best in whatever you decide.
  3. PCLL

PCLL LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

How many accounts do you currently have? You know, you could always step back, hire a foreman and let them do the dirty work. Sure, you'll lose some loot but you'll miss the extra flow you've come to presumably take for granted.
  4. danmc

danmc LawnSite Member

Here's my story - I worked in an office for seven years, got tired of the politics, and the BS associated with it. I left that company last year and got a job with a landscape construction company. It was the second best thing I ever did career wise - I loved what I was doing, it was rewarding, challenging, etc...but the guy I worked for was a weasel. Now I do grounds maintenance at an estate and it's awesome. Thinking about branching out with a small business on the side. The bottom line: do what's best for you and do what will give you the most satisfaction....
  5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

If you can live "comfortable" with your full-time job, why are you mowing? I do it to keep my wife at home with my daughter. My wife wanted to quit work right after my daughter was born and I agreed. It's better for my daughter to have one of us full-time than both of us part time.
  6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I work full time in a factory, three years ago I handed in my resignation. 1 week before my last day I accepted a temporary position on the road, it was to last 2 years. I thought great this will pay for a couple more new toys to make it easier when I quit. A couple on months before my new last day, I was offered a Plant manager job. Again I decided I couldn't turn down the chance and here I am still. It actually my wife's business so she does all the mowing anyway so it hasn't affected us much other than we can afford to buy what we need and our kids have pretty much whatever they want within reason. We do enough work to keep her pretty busy 4 days per week during the busy season and do odd jobs when we want.
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've been thinking about sell out for 16 years.

I've been in business for 16 years.

What else is there to say?? :)

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

You have to do what makes you happy. Kid down the street cuts 1 lawn and makes $20, XYZ Supercuts does 15mill. in cuts, and there is everything in between. This "business" has so many paths to follow and as many opinions as to which one to take. In the end you have to list your priorities and follow your heart.
    Myself and others on Lawnsite have thought about the kid issue before and how to deal with it. The one thing to keep in mind is that no matter how many times we cut down the grass it just keeps coming back and therefore will allways be there. I don't believe it is that way with your kids. The little people that they are today, they will not be tomorrow. The things you miss out on you will never have a chance to redo.
    No easy answer as you have to put food on the table and a roof over their heads and that takes work. But if that is done and your working more only brings beer money and because of that you don't see the family, than maybe than you should cut back.
    My short list- Church-Family-Wife's job-My Job. As you can see my business is down on the list so I am very carefull to keep accounts in check and hours within reason. I sometimes envy the 18 - 20 year olds on here that can work 80 hours a week. For me that is not possable at this time in mine and my familys life. Look hard at you list and follow you heart. Talk to your family. Pray to the Lord for guidance. Good luck in you decision and God bless.
  9. Rob's Lawn Care

Rob's Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Thanks for every ones two cents. most of you have good points, and your own good advice, somethings i feel more positive about. and some got me thinkin and going to do more now ???
    Thanks, Rob
  10. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I started my business for the same reasons as some of you...I can make a little extra so my wife can stay at home with my 2 boys. It's made a huge difference. I teach full-time and this is a great distraction from all the garbage at school. I love getting outside and I love the fact that my wife doesn't have to work if she doesn't want to.