1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thinkin of changing biz name....

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Carolina Cutter, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys....need an opinion.

I have been in business for 6 years as this year closes. Have used the same name since starting. THERE IS NO REASON other than I like everyone's else's name around here....all have something to do with the lawn biz. I AM NOT TRYING to hide anything....current customers would be made aware of the change and the reasons for it. Now, keep in mind that I live in a military community where the population changes all the time and I have what seems to be different customers every year due to PCS, deployment etc.

Anyway...been thinking of changing company name. Right now it is named after my last name. That was done to actually honor my father. But think maybe its time for something a little catchy, easier to pronounce, and easier to remember. Since I live in the type community I do, I think it would be ok.

Give me some feedback...............
  2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I was going by "A Cut Above Landscaping & Services" but I decide to switch to "E & S". That just stands for Edgar & Stefanie (wifey). She's brought good luck to my life so now I hope it'll happen with the business.

You can try something similar or maybe you first initial and your pops first initial.
  3. GatorLawnCare

GatorLawnCare LawnSite Member

How about Southern Pines Lawn & Landscape :cool: or JP Lawn Service
  4. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Not bad suggestions......work mostly in the Fayetteville area though...hmmm
  5. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Just think long and hard on what you want to live with for a name.

Changing one is a bear as I have just witnessed my buddy going from " Green Scene Landscaping " to " 123 Landscaping ."

Picture yourself as a customer and think of something that they are going to remember.
  6. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

If it'll help any why not post your ideas so we can give you our opinions on them?
  7. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

What kind of services do you provide? Try to work that into the name somehow.

For example, if you do mowing and chem. apps., you might think of something like "Mike's mowing and fertilizing."

If a new customer is looking in the yellow pages for a LCO, they probably already have in mind what they want. They are thinking "I want someone who will do the fertilizing and stuff and I want them to do the mowing as well." When they are looking, they see "Tom's lawncare" and they see "Mikes mowing and fertilizing." I think that they would be more likely to call Mike first because they already know that he provides what they want.
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Merlin,

I like Prevatte's Lawn Service. It's nice because it's your name. It's personal. That is a strong selling point. Your customers can know the owner and the owner's name and reputation is displayed on the side of their trucks.
  9. pghlandscape

pghlandscape LawnSite Member
    from pgh,pa.

i changed my company name from my last name to Pittsburgh Landscape Company a few years ago and my only fear was and still is that i no longer seem personable with the client i fear they think they are doing business with a huge company and maybe they would feel more at ease with local companies we are a smaller company 5-6 employees we do no maintenance only hard-scape and in my advertising i mention locally owned and operated and our logo is "large enough to serve you ,small enough to care,and there still are times i wonder if i did the right move.i also have pittsburghlandscaping.com the site is down now for updating. the web address came first then i switched over i have been offered 3000+for the address and thats when i thought i might have something good.
  10. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

pgh, how was the change over for you? Did you feel like you were starting over? I have been thinking of this for a while now but am afraid that I will lose business because of people not knowing the new name.