1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

thinking about a 72 deck pros cons?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by juspayme, Nov 15, 2007.

1. juspayme

juspayme LawnSite Senior Member

i have a sixty inch deck now< thinking of a seventy two> any pros or cons would help>
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

The most obvious benefit is the 20% increase in productivity. However, scalping can be a problem for customers w/ accounts that are hilly, and those who have inexperienced operators. By the looks of your signature, 25 years of mowing grass would qualify as an experienced operator. Good luck w/ your decision!

3. Dave Carney

Dave Carney LawnSite Member

The 72" UltraCut is a dream come true. The only place I can scalp with it is the intersection of two radically different planes.
  4. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Ive been thinking about a 60 vs 72 for next spring
    I have a 46 now and will keep it for my smaller yards
    My only problem is having enough yards/acreage for a 72 vs 60
    A 60 can be more productive on more yards(about80-90%of the yards I have now)
    A 72 can be much more productive but I dont think it will fit on as many yards(about 50-60% of what I have now)
    I guess what Im asking is where do you draw the line on a larger mower
  5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Don't forget about the 66.
  6. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Worth every penny. I can put my 72 Ultra almost anywhere my 60 goes. Plus it handles better on hills, imo. You do have to keep an eye on the (left) trim side.
  7. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I have a 60 & 72. I bought the 72 for a large open property and it worked good and saved some time over the 60. I no longer mow that property and wish I had bought a 60. The reasons are the 72 scalps noticebly more and there are many places it will not fit in yards. I am trying to sell the 72 if you are interested.
  8. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Thats what I keep running thru my mind
    72 +saves time on larger wide open props
    +will have the equipment for larger props(this seam to be where the business is headed)
    -scalping and fitting around yards = more trimming time
    -dealer doesnt sell many of these(Ive never seen one at my local exmark dealer)
    -will need to purchase a wider trailer to haul it around
    60 +will fit on more props without problems
    +produces a smoother cut according to those who I know have had experience with both
    +everybody and their brother runs 60 inch stuff(dealer has most stuff in stock)
    +will fit on the trailer I have now
    -will take longer on the wide open props I have
  9. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

ask yourself how many customers you can use it on, how much time you will save, how long it will take to pay for with the savings.
  10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

An extremely good point.

I have two SuperZs: a 60" and a 66". The 60" is a 2005 and the 66" is a 2007 I bought in March. As nice as the 66" is on covering ground, I now only use it on two large properties: a three acre residential and an eight acre church. It's the most expensive mower I have and I use it the least by far.

If I could go back and do it again, I'd probably have gotten a second 60" instead.