thinking about a diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MuleCutter, Oct 22, 2006.

1. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

hey guys. i'm thinking About upgrading to a diesel next season. right now i have a 2003 Sierra with the 5.3 liter engine, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster and i recently programmed it. i programmed it to make it shift harder for pulling but i did all the other stuff for fun WAY before i even thought about running a lawn service. im pulling an 18x6 tandem open trailer with a rear gate and side gate, exmark HP and XS mowers, 3 blowers, 1 push mower, 3 trimmers and a toolbox. my thing is..... it pulls just fine... especially with the programmer, but i'd like to be able to pull my rig without feeling like im pulling anything. id also be able to take off in heavy traffic better when pulling. my truck didnt come with a towing package (trans coolers, hitch... etc) and if i keep this truck i'll put the trans coolers on it next season. but judging by how my business does next season, i'm thinking of upgrading to a diesel anyway. i want either a duramax or a cummins. i love the looks of the fords but i'm staying away from powerstroke cuz of horror stories that i'm hearing with blown intake manifolds, gaskets and finding shavings in the oil at 1500 to 8500 miles. i've always been a GM man when it comes to gas engines but i'm not sure about the duramax. i've read where it's a little bit superior to the cummins when it comes to automatics but the cummins takes it in the manuals. also the cummins is really the only true diesel engine with its inline 6 cylinder. also... i havent heard anything bad about them except that they are wrapped in a dodge. i've never been a fan of dodge but im seriously taking them into consideration after riding in my buddies 2002 duelly (spelling?) and pulling a 20 foot trailer with a tractor with bush hog on it. plus i love the looks of the dodges compared to the 2007 chevy front ends.... YUCK!!!!! either one i get will come with the allison transmission.... so it's the engine i'm worried about. anyway... your input will be appreciated and taken into consideration when i shop around. THANKS GUYS!!
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The only Allision option is the DuraMax, Dodge does not use it.

That said, the Cummins is an excellent motor, the Duramax is a good motor.

It boils down to what truck you like best, I'd feel very safe driving both.

Screw the 6.0 Powerjoke.
  3. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Correct the Dodges do not use Allison.

My first choice would be a Dodge, of course I have owen 3 Cummins trucks so I am a little partial to them :)

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Get a used 7.3 stroker a 200,000 mile one is better than a brand new cumming or duramax:laugh: but really all is good
  5. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

yea i'm sorry guys... i forgot that allison tranny is only used in GM. but i'd still like to hear more input. i've been swaying back and forth on Dodge and GM for a while now... again... thanks to all!!
  6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Whatever you're gonna' do, you better do it. You can no longer order a 6.0 Ford since the 6.4 is around the corner. The Cummins is going from the 5.9 to the 6.7 (no big difference in power, though). As far as I know, the duramax is the same but they've really bumped up the power. I drive a Ford so I have no dog in the fight, but right now that Cummins (an excellent engine) can't hold a candle to the 'max. She's putting out 360 hp and 650 ft/lb. of torque now. Of course who know's what will happen in a year or so. With the new ultra low sulphur diesel models coming out, I'm out of the diesel buying market for a while.

By the way, the 6.0 powerstrokes were hideous in '03, so-so in '04 and have been excellent in '05 and '06. Also, the auto trans with the Cummins (I forget the manufacturer name) is supposedly excellent these days. The earlier Dodge trans' couldn't pull my finger.
  7. Eclipse

Dodge is still making the auto tranny behind the Cummins in the 2500/3500 trucks. It is a much improved tranny as compared to some of the earlier trannies.

The new HD Dodges have Aisian trannies. They should be a very good tranny as well.

The new 6.7l Dodge will be rated at 350HP. It is currently going in the HD series trucks and as of 1/1/07 it will be in the 2500/3500 series trucks as well.
  8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

"Aisian" was what I was trying to remember. Good things I've read about them.

I thought I read in Diesel Power how the hp numbers were almost the exact same as the 5.9. :confused:
  9. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I totally agree.
    Go with the Dodge and the CTD and you wont look back.
    The cummins, being a inline6 just like a regular semi engine, works and sounds great with the 6spd too.
    The engine is just awesome! :weightlifter:
  10. Eclipse

There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there about the HP ratings of the new 6.7. I have seen two separate press releases from Dodge that state the 6.7 will be 350HP but at the current time even the Dodge website has it at 305HP?