Thinking about a Metro

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by stoneseller, Oct 18, 2002.

1. stoneseller

stoneseller LawnSite Member
    from MD Z7

I currently use a Bunton 36" WB belt drive on my 3/4 acre lawn.
    It does a great smooth cut, the 12.5 Kohler runs great, never bogs down even in heavy wet grass. Overall, I think it's a good machine.
    BUT
    The problem with this machine is trying to mow around numerous trees that have about a 5' diameter mulch bed.
    The drive wheels are spread the same width as the deck, which makes it impossible to cut to the edge of the mulch mound in a single circular pass, because the inside wheel ends up riding into the circle.
    I have seen some WB's with a small deck like mine, where the drive wheels are spaced closer together.
    Looking at the Exmark web site, I can't tell if the pictured Metros, which appear to have the wheels narrower than the deck, are the 36" model.
    A 42 or 48" deck is not really an option for me.
    I have to mow some narrow areas between trees & fences, & I'm getting ready to fence in a portion of the yard, installing 48 " gates.
    Thanks for any info you can give me
    David

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Stoneseller,

Thanks for taking the time to post your question.

While the 32 and 36" units do have a little wider deck than they have track width (at the drive tires), I don't believe it's much different than what you're already using.

I'd love to sell you a mower but I'll need to do it on other merits than its ability to trim around your mulch beds. I believe you'll find this to be the case with all commercial 32-36" mowers. Granted if your running a hydro you can compensate much better but the issue is still there.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or comments.

Thanks

Terry

3. stoneseller

stoneseller LawnSite Member
    from MD Z7

I appreciate your quick response.
    And your honesty regarding the Metro's turning compared to other commercial 36" WB's.

I've heard nothing but praise for eXmark brand from many of my customers.
    I like the other features of your WB's, and may yet consider one as my next mower, if I can find a buyer for my Bunton.

Can you tell me what the wheel outside width is on the 36" Model?

I am going to pay a visit to Lawn & Power Equipment in Gaitherburg, MD, to look at the options currently available.

Thanks,
    David Modine
    President
    Jack T Irwin, Inc.
    Dealers in Natural Stone
    Rockville, MD

4. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

stoneseller,

I saw you mentioned a 48" is not an option. you did say you were going to install some gates that would be 48", well if they are not built, then expand them to 50" and buy a 48" mower. I have a metro 48" and it's trimming around trees is awsome. I do have to agree with Terry, NO 32" or 36" will be able to trim around trees or mulch beds like a 48" or larger deck. the rear wheels are too close to the deck width. the Exmark 32" does have narrower wheels but it still is not enough for cutting close to trees well. If i was you, i'd talk to a dealer and get a demo of a 48" metro HP or turf tracer Hp and see how it does. then build my gates just a few inches wider for the 48" deck.

I know you mentioned narrow parts around fences but i think if you demo a 48" mower you will be very happy on that 3/4 acre yard.

Scot