thinking about a new truck!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mike lane lawn care, Jan 12, 2007.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Take it for a test drive. Ask for records or transimission service.

When you test drive it put it on the floor from a roll and a stop. Does the tranny hesitate shifting from 2nd to 3rd.......is there any slipping etc.

Look over the front end.......ball joints.

There are your two concerns.

Something you'll hear and perhaps don't want to......keep your options open. You can get a '02 Chevy at that price. Newer engine, better tranny......

3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

what happened to you grandfathers f 250

4. mike lane lawn care

for the time being he's gonna keep it, he wasn't going to, but now he is. Even though he has nerve damage in his leg from diabetes, and can't use the clutch well, he's gonna keep it until he can no longer drive it safely. which, unfortunately, isn't too far away. I was just looking at my other options, i'm kind of getting tired of the van, sure it's a great truck, and is solid, but it just isn't very cool.(yes i know i'm materialistic) Also, after only an inch of snow, i've determined that it isn't a practical berkshires winter handler. I would also like the power of the V8, and the bed for doing things like mulch and leaves.

My only opstical is, i'm 17, and i can't take a truck out on a test drive until i'm 18, should i just push for the test drive anyway? I can get probably a $2500 trade in on the van (5x what i paid for it!) and that would lower my out of pocket expenses. i would borrow the rest from mom, and pay her back.

I don't want to go over $6500 as of now, as it is an ammount i'd be able to pay off quickly, and in the event of a bad season, i can still make the payments, with "me" money left over.

5. mike lane lawn care

anyone use carfax? i entered the VIN's of my van, and the truck i was looking at, into the free report thing, and i found mine has 14 documents, and the dodge has 4. I am thinking about getting the unlimited VIN lookup for $25

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

You don't have to be 18 to test drive. You may though be required to have a parent present. Besides, nobody is just going to give you the keys and let you take it for a spin by yourself.

Except once a dealer let my younger brother and I test drive a new Mazda 6 with sports package......."their mother is with them , they're harmless"...yeah right.

7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

A much better choice than your last. My guess is that you will get many years out of this truck, and even if you end up replacing something major you would still be thousands ahead of buying the new "toy truck" you were looking at.

8. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

bring it to a mechanic you know give them $20 and they will put it on the lift in 30 seconds let you know if the truck is garbage or not

they can tell if it was in an accident and what parts where replaced.. Carfax tells you that the car "has been in an accident" thats all it doesnt tell you if it was a near loss and 10k in damage or if it was a fender that got hit and cost $500

it also only tells you accidents that where reported to insurance and everyone knows alot of accidents dont get reported

i have atleast a dozen family members and relatives in the car business i have some knowledge and been through it all

9. mike lane lawn care

thanks guys, i called them, they are open on monday, so i think a little drive up there is in order to check it out. they are a full fledged dealer, and if i were to decide to buy the truck(won't be monday of course) they take care of setting up insurrance, registration, and inspection. Plus they can give me a price tag for the van in 10 mins.
    it's a little less than an hour away, and i'll take a mechanicaly smart friend with me to do some on the site inspection. they also said that if i wanted they'd put it up on the lift for me to take a quick look at.

10. mikes landscaping

mikes landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from kansas

umm, didnt you say it was a 1500? The link is to a extended cab 2500. just wondering?