thinking about a new truck.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by southgalawns, Apr 9, 2011.

1. southgalawns

southgalawns LawnSite Member
    from ga

lol an i do mostly highway driving since 75% of my sites are 50 miles away. evan you have an exhaust or chip?

2. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I would look into a new F 150 ecoboost. 11,300 towing along with great fuel milage! It is my next truck!

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

well if you do that much highway than a diesel would save you a bundle over the long haul. I do not have a chip or exhaust as I still have a manufactures warranty and dont want it voided.

4. southgalawns

from ga

aslong as u dont act stupid a chip and exhaust would help alot, just gotta be smart about it and dont abuse it.

5. johnyredd99

johnyredd99 LawnSite Member
    from gap,pa

believe the original post was about worried that buying a truck w/ so many miles will stuff being more apt to failing. like power windows breaking, door handles breaking, spare tire holder being so rusted it breaks, tailgate latches. And to answer that yes alot more and it seems once one thing goes everything else fallows.
    Diesel vs. Gas depends.
    Diesel trucks are built w/ stronger front end, dual batteries, long hours idleing..great for plowing. able to idle is also great for hot ass days when you can let it run w/ a/c on while you cut...nother better then jumping in a cold truck when it 100 out.
    I believe the thing about mpg while some others dont..but its not always the trucks fault for low mpg if your always heavy on the peddle

6. southgalawns

from ga

i agree, since i only have 2 more years on my tuck payments i am gonna keep it and hopefully gas wont kill me in the mean time

7. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

The diesel/gas debate is interesting. I've had a 92 Ford with the old 7.3 naturally aspirated diesel. It got about 16 mpg in the city. I currently have a 2000 GMC Sierra 2500 with the 6.0L gas engine. It gets about 11-13 mpg in the city. The 7.3 was a great engine but when it broke down, maintenance costs were really insane. In contrast, the 6.0L gas has been bullet proof and has had next no issues with it apart from the fact that it sucks up gas. Even basic things like an oil change where much more expensive on the diesel.

Overall, the choice of diesel engine depends on what you're doing. If you're pulling heavy weight or hauling heavy loads or driving for long distances most of the time, the diesel is great. But, if all you're doing is carrying equipment or loads to a job site and then the truck sits there before moving on to the next job, I'd take a gas truck instead. It has a lower initial cost, lower maintenance costs, etc. Don't forget as well, whether or have gas or diesel, the truck will eventually fall apart around the engine. So, the diesel might last until 400 000 miles but what happens if the truck starts falling apart around 250 000 to 300 000 miles?