1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about a new w/b....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTLC, Aug 4, 2003.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

I currently have a 44" Toro Timecutter Z and I am looking for something a little better and commercial grade. I am thinking about a 48" or 52" gear or possibly hydro-drive walk-behind. I have only had a chance to try a Bob-Cat a few times. I am pretty familiar with Toros, but I am looking for the best bang-for-the-buck. I would like to spend no more than about $4500. I know most of you guys have different brands of walk-behinds, so what I am looking for is your opinion on which might be the best choice for me.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

what type though...a major brand name or something that will get the work done and still last a long time?
  3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

We cant give you an opinion on what is best for YOU. Only YOU can make that choice. Demo. I can give you an opinion or two, but it may not be best for YOU. Why not go with another Toro? They are great machines. ME, I use Exmark.:D
  4. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky LawnSite Member

Look for an orange one

(That would be a Scag):blob2: :blob2: :blob2:
  5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

2 best WB commercial grade, cutting all day 24/7?
    36" Viking hydro 15 hp kawi V twin = $ 3,900.00
    48" Turf Tracer HP hydro 17 hp kawi V twin = $ 4,725.00
    those prices are new, used ones cheaper and don't forget the most important thing "Bullrider or Velke" for the ride of comfort and speed to kick your Toro time cutter Z butt.
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

There are rebates on the full Bob-Cat line as well as Ryan turf equipment at the moment. I know the 15-48 fixed deck hydro wb is 4100 before rebate and the same thing in a belt drive is around 2900. Floating deck adds around $500 to retail. You should be able to deal AND get the rebate if you're willing to haggle. I think the rebate on the wb is 200.
  7. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a brand new Lesco 48 hydro wb w/sulky for a little under $4,500.00. Opinions on this site will vary, but I say it's a great mower. It will go anywhere, the quality of cut is good, and is built like a tank.

Do a search on this site & you will find a huge amount of threads on mowers.......all types including Lesco. Most of the talk about Lesco is favorable but there are some bad opinions. Heck, there's bad opinions about most mower makes on here. I've seen guys bad mouth Scag, Exmark, Walker...........the list goes on.

My disclaimer - keep in mind I have relatively limited experience & I bought my mower new this spring; however, let me say that I had "x" amount of money to launch my business & could have very easily cut a few corners here and there to make more room in the mower budget to buy a different brand. A very important decision...........and I went with Lesco.

All I'm saying is shop around. Demo some mowers and make an informed decision. I'm sure it will turn out well for you.
  8. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Well what I sort of mean is just generally, which of the big brands makes a good or great walk-behind and/or which brands of walk-behinds do you see to be popular. I am just trying to get a general idea.
  9. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of guys & gals on here swear by Exmark. Based on their experience I would be crazy not to conclude they are a fantastic mower. Based on the opinions alone of those here who I respect I'm am quite sure that when I grow into a Z I'll seriously be considering Exmark.

A lot of LCOs in my area use Toro. I see some Scags around too, and a sprinkling of Lescos.

Really, some searching the archives here would be a great idea & then match your mower to your needs. You will get opinions from pros on here reading the archives. The straight talk, as long as you know who's opinion to place stock in.
  10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Much talking and swearing about mower's brand and so on, you have to see and experience with your hands and eyes how those mowers perform. Why LCO respect eXmark brand and other top guns to name a few, Wright's, Ferris, you have to taste it and will know why?
    The "cut" baby, the "cut" what makes people happy, ...I know for sure I can sell my eXmark whenever I want cause people want them every day, other brands you have to spend some time doing ad.