1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about a newer truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by AndyTblc, Sep 25, 2008.

1. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to go look at this truck today, a 2003 Chevy 1500HD LS, 120,000 miles. The price is set at $13,000. My neighbor knows a sales manager at the dealership, so I can get it for less, I just want some input. My mom said she'd buy my truck, since my mom and dad don't have a truck, she said it'd be nice to have a truck, (plus she likes driving it better then her van). Let me know if you'd buy it or stay away from it.
    truck.jpg

truck.jpg

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Looks fine to me...Not enough info on it. Get some history on it. Wrecks, repairs, and such.

3. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

I went and checked it out, beautiful truck, supper clean, no scratches, not even in the bed. The last owner was a smoker. Engine runs great. It looks like it was very well taken care of, I'm going to go back next week and talk a little more about it. I've did some reviews and read that this year of the 1500HD's were pretty good trucks. But I will get some more information on it next week.

4. FDuce

FDuce LawnSite Member

I would guess that you could do way better (one with less miles) for $13k. Being that it had been smoked in (you will NEVER get that smell out) and has 120k mi, I wouldn't touch it for more than $10k out the door. You can figure you will have to sell it within 40k miles since it will be towards the end of it's life span (or have to re-engine/new tranny).

5. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

to many miles.

6. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

We bought one just like it to pull our Motocross trailer, 8.5 x 28 enclosed, same year and everything. 6.0 engine. We bought it fairly new, around 35k miles? We sold it last year with 126k miles and all we every did was regular maintenance. Dealer gave us $13k on a trade in and they sold it for $14,600. Loved the truck, no complaints.

7. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i think you can get a lot more truck for less money than that. i would advide to be careful about buying a truck with your parents like that though...in my experience it doesnt work out too well.

8. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

My neighbor has the same exact truck down the street from me, same miles and everything. It runs like a top never had a problem with it and wouldnt be affraid to deive it across the country tomarrow. but like someone else said. 13K is WAY TOO HIGH. 10 out the door is good.

DBF

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

ehh smoker... Value went down 6k for me.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Too many miles for that price.