1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about a Walker brand mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Jul 10, 2005.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I have always used WB's and ZTR's, but am very intrigued by the performance of the Walker brand riders. Do most of you pick-up clippings for your clients? If so, do you charge them extra for disposal? Are your clients willing to pay for the upcharge of a Walker mower vs. another commercial unit?

Finally, do you see any benefits of running a side discharge Walker against any other commercial mower? In summary, if not bagging, is there any reason to think about going with a Walker?

2. Lawn Cops

Lawn Cops LawnSite Member

Only buy a Walker if you are going to collect your clippings. My walk behinds are much cheaper on maintenance than the Walker....but it is great at what it is designed for...but only that.
  3. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

Im with lawn cops on that. Only buy the Walker if you are bagging. They are slow as hell doing anything else. They are the best cutting mower that I have ever seen, but 4mph minimum slower cutting speed than we run on the scag 61s. I loved the Walker that I had, but it was impractical for us and we changed when it came down to needing more units. I had also bought a 62 incher to go with the 48 bagging deck to speed up, and it was a nightmare for me. The thick TX grass was tough for the walker setup. I will say that I miss the Walker on anything that we bag though. Holler if you have any questions. I ran that Walker almost 3000 hours and loved it a lot, just not right when putting guys out for production.
  4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I love my Walker, but I'll be demoing them against the Skag "Cougars" when it comes time to buy another dedicated bagger.
  5. lawnmasters2004

lawnmasters2004 LawnSite Member

I just bought a Walker MC GHS with the 48" deck and will be picking it up tomorrow. I cant wait to see how it performs. Everyone in my area seems to be running them, and for the price I got it at, I had to see what this Walker hype was all about. I am currently running two JD GS30s and I mulch with them. It seems like I end up running over every yard twice just to get an excellent stripe and cut put on the grass, so I am very excited to see what this Walker has in it. If there are anymore pros or cons to the Walker GHS mower i would love to hear them. Thanks guys!
  6. brokelawnboy

brokelawnboy LawnSite Member
    from NC

My Walker is the 26 hp 48" ghs, its a great mower and does just what they claim,excellent level cut however its not a good choice if your going to have to use it for steep hills or for your biweekly customers, but for a customer that wants a great finish then the walker fits the bill. i have got a few jobs that otherwise i wouldn't have if not for the well groomed look the walker leaves behind, its very easy to operate and very precise and doesn't take alot of effort to operate which i think is a big plus, but like a said the traction going forward isn't half as good as with a ztr, reverse will climb most inclines if you have to but just if u have to as its hard to see over the big hopper.For the biweekly customers if I'm cutting with the walker i leave the hopper open which does a min. job of spreading the clippings at best when your cutting tall thick turf. oh yea my favorite part of course, "not" is the grass jams up if its really thick and u try to cut to fast, however this almost never a problem on the weekly yards, look at it this way if you have premium customers use a premium mower, charge a premium price. we only have 6 yards and 2 developments, only 2.5 require pickup, and only use the walker on the others to help out and to speed things up a bit for the exmark walk behind. In thick grass the 14hp exmark will cut faster because of the fact of grass jams that the even though the some what bogging down exmark doesn't have to worry about, But there again on a weekly yard the walker will out cut the exmark with its hp advantage From what i can determine its faster about zig zagging then the walk behind once u learn how to use it. Bottom line is i love the walker, its a great machine, has both its pros and cons, it surely has its uses, but may not be what you need as your primary mower, as now I'm in search of another ztr with more speed and traction, also looking at a side discharge deck for the walker maybe the 72 anyone have one that you can give me any advise on please do so.....
  7. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

i love my walker, try using the at tires if you got hills to climb,, at the bottom of the hill u should have the speed control pulled back and then slightly push as climbin an then give more speed.. this way u get traction and dont spin and slide back done the hill. i noticed on the walkers that you can use the whole deck to mow if the grass is about 5 to 6 inches deep .. u have to over lap to the casters,, also it willnt clog up if u keep the screen clean and you have the larger hole screen. simple dont go fast in thick wet grass. other then that normal wet grass is fine togo fast..