Thinking About A Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by indy2tall, Sep 12, 2006.

1. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking of purchasing a Walker for next years mowing season so I need to find out a few things. For those of you who have actually used a Walker for at least one mowing season would you please comment on the following questions and thanks in advance for your help.

1. How did it compare to your other mowers when it came to leaving ruts in soggy wet yards?

2. What was your rational for initially buying a Walker (saving time, better cut, etc.) and did it turn out that way?

3. Was your Walker your main mower or was it only used for certain customers?

4. Did your Walker make it easier, harder, or about the same to maneuver in and out of tight spaces compared to your other mowers?

5. If you could start from scratch would you buy a Walker again and if not why?

2. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

I have never owned one but everybody I know who does says they are great. My dealer sells them and says they are the best cutting mower he has ever used but thet are not near as productive as the Hustler he sells.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

1. They do fairly well in wet lawns, more tires to dispurse the weight.

2. I bought my Walker thinking it was going to magically get me more business I guess... I see the other LCO's locally that have walkers and they seem to flourish. They do deliever a nice cut, BUT only if you are willing to go SLOW. Trying to run a walker at mid-mount speeds will leave a poor cut. Plan on MORE time per site using a walker over a mid-mount due to the speed and the extra time it takes to dump the hopper. If it's dewy, or raining plan on not cuting till it dries out some (read as more time).

3. I had "planned" to make my walker my main mower but quickly realized there was not enough hours in the day for that. My main mower was a 50" ZTR and I knew how much time it took to get thru my route, With the walker the time was out of control. I started using my old ZTR on more and more properties, starting with the larger ones where the walker was least productive.

4. Really depends a lot on your previous mower here. My 50" machines were very compact and honestly I saw no real change in where I could fit the machine into. Not having a blower hanging off the side of the deck IS nice though. Your real limitations come when you get to hills and ditches. Suddenly you can't go places you have always been mowing before with no problems on the ZTR.

5. If I could go back, I'd never buy a 48" walker for my self. I had mine for about a year and sold it 3 years ago. Since then I have bought another walker though, but this time a 36". It can go thru most any gate and does the cleanest job on small lawns Iv'e ever seen. This is truely a machine I wish I had bought 5 years ago.

4. turf dog

turf dog LawnSite Member

I own the 42" ghs walker and really like it. Jason is right to get the best cut you can't go very fast and it is time consuming. For me the machine really shines at fall leaf cleanup. I have been using the walker as my main mower. IF I had to do it again I would still buy the walker. But I did just purchase a Quick 36 Samurai as my backup mower and my mower for small properties and houses with gates that I can't get my walker into.

5. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

if you get the low profile tires, they float really well. also the walker has 6 wheels to distribute the weight better.

biggest reason is the need for a bagging machine, the walker is the standard around here.

the walker is my main mower.

it's as maneuverable as a ztr the only thing to watch for is hitting things with the hopper due to the drive wheels bieng in the center. it is better at trimming than a ztr for two reasons, first it has an out front deck alowing you to get under things.second you can trim on both sides of the deck(no discharge chute to get in the way.

yes i will always have at least one walker type mower.

6. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

and also you can get Big side discharge decks for walkers I no some guys that carry them on the trailer and change them over for mowing lager poperties when needed

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have a lot of different mowers but last year I got a chance to buy a repo Walker for a very low price. It is a 36" unit with bagger deck and 20hp. We only use this unit if we absolutely need to bag or when we are mowing on properties with small spaces. It does give a good quality. I like the idea that I can pick up trash from the seat. We have a curb hopper device so we can get onto medias in shopping centers so I mow some areas normally done with a 21". I don't like the fact that you have to buy 3 very expensive decks to switch from sidedischarge to mulching to bagging. In wide open spaces I like the units like Scag that gets the job done faster.

8. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

I would highly recommend the Walker if you have some nice properties to mow that you want to make look nice and you aren't concerned with the speed. However, I would never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever buy the 26 EFI POS. Walker and the other manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves for putting that junk out there on the market! I know alot of people will get on here and tell you to go for the efi, but I'd personally stay away from them. The biggest and best reason for that is the mechanics that typically work on these machines know nothing whatsoever about efi. Do you really want to spend 9K on a mower that the dealer, in a large majority of the cases, can't fix!:hammerhead: Buy a 20HP with either the 36 or the 42 deck! My .02

greg

9. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Why didn't you just buy a 36" deck and switch it out with the 48" when needed.

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Can't do that with the wide tires that are on the 48" models. Tires would be quite a bit wider then the deck... There was also about 3 years between the 2 mowers.

Plus, have you EVER switched a deck on a walker??? Iv'e had to remove the 48" deck and replace it a couple times and I thought I was in hell! Trying to get the 2 pins that the deck slides on and the drive shaft all lined up at once:dizzy: :hammerhead: Then once you get them started you really need TWO people to get it slid on there. Felt like I had been lifting weights for half an hour, oh wait, I was!