Thinking about a Z4

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by eddiek2000, Jun 6, 2010.

1. eddiek2000

eddiek2000 LawnSite Member
    from MD

A couple of questions.

1) Difference between a z4 and z7.
    2) Is the suspension seat worthwhile?
    3) Are the flex forks worth it?

I am looking at a z4/25Hp/54" deck. Is that enough HP? I see a lot of other dealers selling large decks and small engines. Why?

I am a homeowner who will be cutting 1/2 acre manicured lawn and 1/5 acres of not so manicured backyard. My trusted Husky, 18/48 riding tractor just died and I am in need of a replacement ASAP.

Tell me about Gator blades.

Thanks!!!

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

1) a Z4 is a mini framed Hustler commercial mower, available in 48, 54 and 60 inch decks. the XR-7 is a deck, it is on the Hustler Z and Super Z full framed units.
    The Hustler Z has the same drive system as the Z4.
    2) The suspension seat is a very nice set up, especially on harder ground and rougher areas.
    3) Same as # 2... lol... well worth the money.

The 25hp is excellent on the 54" very good match to deck size, as to other companies offering different hp, depends on what target price they are shooting for, its a marketing and pricing thing with many companies.
    The Gator blades are a nice set up, they will reduce clippings nicely and work well side discharging, catching and mulching.

Pj

3. Volnut

Volnut LawnSite Member

I recently bought a Z4 and love it. I had a residential Cub Cadet ZT and the difference is night and day. Get one, you won't be sorry.

The only thing is they don't make a stripe kit for it. I made a big league lawn knock off this weekend and couldn't wait to stripe my yard. For whatever reason it won't stripe. This may or may not matter to you and it's definitely not a deal breaker by any means. Maybe Hustler has one for the Z4 in the works.

4. eddiek2000

from MD

Thanks PJ. A little follow up. As far as the warranty. Dealer said for residential use the Z4 has a 4 year warranty. Is this correct? Also, Does the Z4 take 3 gator blades or is it a different configuration. Do you happen to have part numbers? Thanks!!

5. bigorange03

bigorange03 LawnSite Member

I have a z4 with a 27 hp kaw 60" and i really like this set up.the stearing system to me is better than the super z.I also have the suspension seat and flex forks and in my opinion they are worth every penny invest!!!!You will not be disapointed with this unit.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Yes he is right, light commercial / farm & ranch application is 4yr or 500hrs
    (whichever comes first)
    As to the Gators, the mower comes from the Factory with regular side discharge blades, they are Fusions and the mower uses 3 of them.
    The part # for the 54" Gators for your mower are Hustler part # 797712
    Hope this helps.

Pj

7. cbkc

cbkc LawnSite Member

Pull the trigger on the Hustler, I'm on my 3rd and love them (54"Fastrack, 44" Mini-Z, 60"
    Super Z). Highest blade tip speed on the market which means best cut. I really like the gator blades, I've used them on all 3 and they are very helpful when mowing over tall grass or chewing up leaves in the fall, the blades seem to tackle anything well. The suspension seat works great, I've heard the flex forks are awesome but I haven't used them yet. As far as striping the lawn I've had excellent luck with all 3 mowers striping well, if you have any problems with striping you can always switch to high lift blades. I have a striping kit from Big League Lawns but don't even use it, message me if anyone wants to buy it from me cheap.

8. eddiek2000

from MD

I'm convinced. Just need to find a dealer I like and a good price. I found one in Fairfax,VA , but that is a little bit of haul. There is one in King George, but his pricing is crazy all over the place. Next closest guy, keeps promising to call with a quote, but never does. So now I am either gonna try DE or the next closest guy near Annapolis, MD. My zip is 20622, and I am looking for the 54 with suspension seat IN STOCK with a good price.

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Please email me your information and I will forward to our regional sales manager and have him find one for you.

Pj

10. eddiek2000

from MD

Any word from the district manager? I was hoping to be picking up a new hustler tomorrow AM.