Thinking about Christmas Tree farm

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by rusty_keg_3, Jun 28, 2009.

1. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, heres the deal, i am 17, and just took over me and my older brothers company. Well, kinda i will just run the business.Anywho, we live in Northwest Ohio, and have some average at our moms place. We plow in the winter with two trucks, but in the 08-09 winter, we only plowed like 10 times. Which aint bad, i think we could some plant christmas trees, but need advice.

Ok, we would plant them on a 1000ft(long) by 300ft(wide), portion of land. I figured like 10- 20 ft isles in between trees (width), and space trees out like 8ft long way. We would plant like 100-200 trees each year. I figure like 5 years for them to reach the desired size....

So five years later, lets say you come to buy a tree. We drive you and you family out there, and you pick the tree, and we cut it right there. Haul it up front, and u pay for it. And we could deliver them too, but aint sure how much that would be.

Cost of finished trees, i have a few ideas,
    1. Charge by the height... Like $10 per foot (height) so a 5ft tree is $50, maybe $8 per foot, but we would have five years to figure it all out.

2. Flat Rate...... like $50 for any tree. But think that would suck.

Well, input and ideas would be nice, Thanks
    Russell

2. 2brothersyardcare

2brothersyardcare LawnSite Silver Member

i want 2 buy a farm and do that and put my **** on it

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

A tree farm will actualy make more $ by property tax saving because of ag tax rate then selling the trees.

4. rusty_keg_3

So how dose that work? Like The area or the number of trees?

5. rusty_keg_3

bump.......

6. Triplex

Triplex LawnSite Member

There are a lot of tree farms here in PA. I'd recommend letting people cut their own, while offering to cut it for them if they want; a lot of people like to cut their own tree. One big drawback is, if you get bad weather for a couple of weekends in December everyone will just get a tree at Lowe's and you're screwed. You might be in a better position than most since it looks like you want to do this on the side instead of as your primary job; you could ride out a year like that more easily than someone whose livelihood depends on it. Look around at the competition in your area - are Christmas tree farms just scraping by, or is there a big crowd in December? I don't know whether your location is suburban or rural, but if you had a lot of houses go up in the recent real estate boom, you might have a lot of customers. That's exactly what happened at the farm I used to get my tree at; the area around it got built up rapidly in the early 2000's and the place got way too crowded for a nice family outing (but their Christmas tree business is booming).

7. Triplex

Triplex LawnSite Member

Charge by height; that's what every place around me does.

8. rusty_keg_3

1-I heard you cant let people cut their own trees for safety reasons...
    2-Their are quite a few Christmas tree places, but they bring trees in, and if we grew trees, you would advertise something like "the freshest trees" or something to the effect...
    3-we live in a rural area, but it isnt the stix... Toledo is a 20 min drive...

9. rusty_keg_3

ok, thanks

10. Triplex

Triplex LawnSite Member

All the tree farms around here let you cut your own; I cut mine every year. If all the other places around you bring trees in, that's good; then you can advertise as a place to cut your own tree (or at least get a fresh one). Your location sounds ideal - close enough to a decent-sized city that you'll have customers. Too far out in the sticks and it would probably have to be wholesale only.