Thinking about gator blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gobblet, Sep 29, 2007.

1. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

I was thinking about buying gator blades for my equipment. I was wondering if a block off plate is needed or will the gator blades work well without one, if you double cut. I was also wondering if gators are used while bagging will debris be cut down. I will use these blades mostly for leaves, after grass has slowed down for the year.

2. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

Anyone?
    Is using mulching blades useless, without chute blockoff plate?

3. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

No, Its not useless... I bag and side discharge with them....I just put mine on last week they are very good for the fall with all the leaves.

4. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

They are not bad, i have not noticed a big difference between them and my hi lifts in regards to mulching tho, (without a mulch kit) one thing is that the mulchers create less lift and don't throw the clippings out as far, which when using a bag cuts down on alot of dust comming from the bag.

5. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I use them and side discharge. About the only way I cut.
    Later, Tony

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

mulcher blades are cheeper than gators

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Just tried gators yesterday on my gravely 44Z with mulching kit installed, did an incredible job as compared to the foil mulchers that I have on there before. The gators have much more lift and do a better job at mulching also leave a much nicer cut.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends, some prefer hi lifts others like mulchers, you have to decide.
    What you do is buy one set of the other and run them, see if you like it.
    If you do like it stick with it, if you don't switch back.
    There is no other way, I can't tell you which is right for you, I use hi lifts exclusively but some run mulchers only.
    Just the way it is.

9. professorkev

professorkev LawnSite Member

whats a good mulch blade to get?

10. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

Gator blades. I have them on my exmark and they mulch really good and they dont leave anything behind. I use it with a chute block off plate.