thinking about getting a website anybody have any pointers

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by mowing grass 1111, Jan 4, 2008.

1. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

i have decided to advertize for the 2008 season and already have 2 ads in the yellow pages lined up . after talking to the sales lady about a website that links to the yellow page ad i have decided to go for it .
    now i don't know nothing at all about running a website, or what kind of questions i should ask her make sure she knows what she is doing. anybody have any advice on what i should look for
  2. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Do it yourself, dont pay someone to build you a website. Its pretty simple.

I did all mine though yahoo domains. Very Reasonable. Includes free sitebuilder program thats idiot proof.
  3. mowing grass 1111

i have no desire to even think about trying it , plus i think a professional could do alot better job than myself . I have decided to let the yellow page sales rep handle all my marketing this year ...which will include logos , yellow page ads , website and anything else she may come up with . i have used her in the past and was happy . i will also be buying an enclosed trailer and have a logo , name and number on the sides and rear door .
    I am trying really hard this year to get my name and image out there for everyone to see... the last few years i was slacking off bad:nono:
  4. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice site. I am working on setting up mine (With help from my father, he's the computer guy). I've been checking out everyones' sites to get an idea of what I want to add to mine. If I am ever successful, I will post the link for all to critique. :waving:
  5. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

6. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

This guy right here is a hard worker! A full time teacher and a landscaper!!
  7. mdbolin

mdbolin LawnSite Member

We build sites exclusively for the nursery industry
    If interested
    Even if you are looking to do it yourself, any questions feel free to ask
    Mark Bolin
  8. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

mowing grass 1111,

The people from the yellow pages are the last folks I would have build a site for me,

it all comes to - if it isn't on the first page of a search engine search it isn't generating any customer leads, sure you can put it on your yellow page ad, business card, flyers, but then it is just a bigger brochure.

if you search for your keywords in your area for how you think people will search for you - landscaping+town+state or town+landscaping or state+ landscaping see what comes up. The latest % I have seen for searches in the United States where Google about 65% of all searches. So I do it in Google first. It has been my experience that the only time that a website built by the yellow page people was even on the first page was if there was hardly any, barely any competition for the phrases.

Yahoo is a great way to start, it would cost about $12 a month for hosting and the site builder program is included,

Why do it yourself? Don't - let someone else do it for you BUT know how to change the pages,

this gives you the ability to change for the seasons, specials, different types of work you want to promote,

I would want as much flexibility to change without paying a premium in time to get the changes done or the cost it would take to make the changes.
  9. mowing grass 1111

turf i don't see where it would make a difference to who created the site if the keywords for search were the same.
  10. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

it doesn't if they do the work,

but I would wager that if you search 10 cities say - landscaping+city+abbreviation of state, you may find 1 site built by a yellow page company for a landscapers site where it is the landscapers site in the listing.

it just doesn't seem they do what is required or the people don't want to pay what the company wants - to do a decent job or maybe it has something to do with what they charge. I try not to beat up on anybody but it is mighty hard when it comes to what they charge and what they give people,