Thinking about getting back into the business...opinions wanted

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by JS Landscaping, Dec 27, 2008.

1. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but if one girl could bring down a decent sized lawn business...well let me just say, you don't sound very focused. Has your state of mind changed much since then, besides just not liking working for someone else? I mean, just trying to be real here.

2. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

If this were me, I'd focus on landscaping, with lawn care paying the frieght.

Better margins in scaping or so it seems.

3. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

This is actually a valid question !!

4. Chris1594

Chris1594 LawnSite Member

oh wow Orange County that's right above me lol I am always there is there really much landscaping work up there because I seen alot of the yards and they are really small?

5. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

I wouldnt say she brought me to my knees, but she definatly added to a lot of hell and stress going on in my life. Lost a best friend of close to 16 years that year after he got hit by a train on his dirtbike, as well as my parents getting divorced. So it was a multitude of things, but she didnt help at all by cheating on me and getting caught. All of these things happened within about a 2 month period of eachother. I do think I have changed quite a bit tho, kinda have a new out look on life, and have realized where I went wrong. I regret giving up the first time back in 07 and shutting down, just took me some time to realize it. But this also gives me a new start, clean slate to start over again, and use the knowledge that I gained previously to make things run smoother and more efficient this time around.

6. Tuna3679

Tuna3679 LawnSite Member

Yes you should absolutely get back into the business..in Orange County, NY...NOT Tallahassee, FL LOL :)

7. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry to hear about all of your bad luck. I say go for it.

8. actionlawn4u

actionlawn4u LawnSite Member

Hey groomer you still got the vac for sale

9. actionlawn4u

actionlawn4u LawnSite Member

What I have found it is hard to get some good customers back once you leave them. Sure you left on good terms but it is hard to find a good lawn care company and some people may have found your replacement and dont want to take a chance on you going out of business again. I just didn't want you quiting a good job relying on your old customers. Just food for thought, but there are many more customers besides your old ones anyway. Good luck and welcome back.

10. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

Good point actionlawn4u, I will be sending them a formal letter in the next few comming weeks letting them know what my intensions are for this upcomming season. If I can get a few back, that would be great. I do not plan to leave the company I am with currently climbing for, until I reach the point of being able to have a business built up to where I can not juggle the two anymore. It will be a part time, after work weekend deal to start, but hopefully progress back up the chain. Going to be contacting my insurance agent that I used for my last company, again tomorow and get the ball rolling, once I pick out a business name and get my licencing with the state. Previously I was a DBA type business, looking to possibly go as an LLC this time. Already got the my remaining equipment out and started going over all of it to start getting things ready, even though winter is still going to be here for a few months. New year, new ambition, new business.