Thinking about getting into the business.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mdp, Jan 30, 2006.

1. mdp

mdp LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about getting into the lawn maintenance business and I have a question for anyone who is willing to respond.

This will be a second career for me. My question is:

If I plan on offering just lawn cutting services, is this enough, or in order to be successful do I need to offer a complete line of services, (ie) landscape design, installation, snow removal....?

Is there a market for just lawn cutting or do customers prefer someone who can provide "one stop shopping".

Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Depends, what are you expecting for income?? There are plenty of people who just mow lawns as a small side job for some extra cash.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

first thing would be to see how many other LCO 's are in your area. if there's to many already it will be hard to get work and what you do get will most likely be low dollar PITA's that no one else wants at least for the first few years anyway. you can make a decent buck just mowing thats how most people start out.also do you have any experience in this its alot harder than most people think.i see from your profile that you are 49 what was your other career? just a few things to consider before you go full bore into starting.
  4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Like Clark Lawn said, it's not so easy. There are many things to consider. And to answer your question, YES I think you need to offer at least the general services that go along with lawn care. You may pick up a few customer's but if you offered even Mulch delivery and installation or pruning etc you will have a larger customer base. But if it's just some extra spending money yo need then I would honestly say find another "second career".
  5. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Walk away and stay out of this business. This is the worst type of business to be in. Just playin lol. It's up to would you want to do work and make money? Yes you can just mow and go but there isn't much in that. Most people want to write one check a month for these services and not one for lawncare, one for fert and one for snow removal, just makes more work for them to do. And why do people hire us to do these services? Cause they don't want to have to work with it. Even with a person that has just 15 full time accounts can make more money then if you had 45 just mowing accounts.
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

start slow, see what you can get for can make some money just mowing, but for me, the upsells to exsisting clients make the best already have them as customers so your foot is in the door ...trimming bushes and hedges, mulch jobs...i look for something that needs done in there yard, and try and sell them on the idea...even just fixing some spots in the lawn that need patched can be good money with little effort.....:)

good luck
  7. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

im with clark...there are sooooo many lawncare companys in my aera and there are sooooooooo sooooooo soooooo many low ballers who cut 2-20 lawns on the side....its hard let me tell you...but cutting grass isnt bad just to offer to start out and maybe do some small mulch jobs here and there...also dont start out with the biggest and the dont want to go into biz being in debet, trust me i know tooooo many people who have done this...but good luck
  8. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

rfed32 gives good advice. Don't go out and buy a bunch of equipment. I started out last year with a $2000 investment. Bought one 21" mower, blower, weed-eater and stuff and loaded all in the bed of my truck. Pretty much all I did was mow, weed-eat, edge, and blow. I made about $10K last season with that. I did do some hedge trimming, tree trimming, sodding and other stuff but $10k is only for mowing. Not bad for part-time. There are some guys in my area that make $25k a year part-time just mowing.
  9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

after proper business expenses, that 25 thousand will be about 8 the thread in commercial forum, on part time income this year..... make shure your licenced and insured... or your part of the problem not the solution..good luck
  10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

You may want to start with just cutting as you build start selling additional services known as upselling. The reason upselling is a better way to go is less windsheild time moving from job to job. You have to do what is called a cost/benefit analysis. It may be more cost effective (depending on what going rate is) to move from job to job but with fuel prices climbing I really don't see how it could be more lucrative to not upsell. The more equipment you try to add the more expense you will inccur so I'd avoid that until you have an established base to justify the addtional equipment and even at that I'd consider used if possible to lower intial expansion overhead. You wouldn't want to buy some tool that really only is needed for one account and then have to go looking for work that also requires that same tool. Read as much as you can here. There is so much info here to obtain.