Thinking about moving

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jasonlandscape, Oct 31, 2007.

1. jasonlandscape

jasonlandscape LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I live in metro atlanta Ga.

First of all i realy don't care for Ga, i've lived here for all my life.

now we have an insane drought which makes things worse. and i have lost a couple of install jobs, plus i'm not very confident about spending money to advertise when landscaping is the last thing on peoples mind.

Just trying to get some opinions on a few places to move that have lots of landscaping.

I wouldn't mind living in salt lake city or denver. i love the west and the mountains, but i don't know about the landscaping out there.

i may just move down to Valdosta ga...???

any suggestions

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You could move if you needed to or if you really wanted to get out of there, but I also think you should know it is not going to fix the problem. First years are always a bit rough, fall just isn't the time of year for it either, most of us who have work is via regular customers, most our new customers come around in the spring.

By the way, the mountains wouldn't provide a better income unless you want to plow snow, and don't think no more of SLC unless you plan on converting to the LDS religion. That city is the mormon's main base, they stop short of making their own money but they do make their own rules, that place is deep LDS country.
    Not to mention it's in the middle of a desert :laugh:

Denver seems ok, but that's a mile high city, think long, cold winters.
    All that Rocky Mountain stuff, ID, Mont, Wyo, CO, UT, I think NV and to a point NM, it is friggin' cold winters and dry summers.
    Fuel ain't cheap that high up either.

The East coast is one of the greenest sections of the USA, believe it or not.

3. jasonlandscape

from Georgia

lol, yeah i'm not sure about the people out there but i love the mountains.

what about Boone NC?

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

You could move to Richmond, VA. I was just thinking how nice it wold be to move to Atlanta but you spoiled that for me.

I think the triangle area in N.C. would be a nice spot if it isn't already saturated. The D.C. area is growing fast VA/MD. What about the North West, mild weather, higher incomes, they actually get less rain than Atlanta most years it's just more dependable.

The drought probably won't last forever in Ga. Since this drought has hit everyone is wanting to move but I think most should probably just chill and stay where they are. Things will get better.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

They're in the midst of a crushing drought too. Boone also has some of the lowest median houshold incomes in NC at $20,200 a year. That half of the state average.

There's nowhere you can go in the U.S. and find perfect weather or conditions all of the time.

The drought will pass.

6. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been by car to the Denver area.... Once I crossed into Arkansas, I was disappointed. Not my kind of place to live. Denver especially.

I have a friend in Spokane Washington who I went to visit a year or so ago, first time for me in this state or area. I can tell you that I really liked the Spokane area. Near mountains, lots of regular rainfall, Snow in the winters, hot summers, lot's of nice landscaping work, the grass there was nice and green and healthy looking.

If I had to make a move somewhere I would really strongly consider Spokane.

7. jasonlandscape

from Georgia

Yeah i know the drought will pass and things will get better...i guess its more so that i'm just tired of ga. theres nothing for me to do...In the summer i wanna do downhill mtn biking and in the winter i wanna snowboard everyday.

i could do spokane, that sounds like a sweet place to live

when they say it rins all the time in seattle what do they mean? its never sunny or the rain really spread out?

8. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

I've lived a lot of places. And David's been to 48 of the 50, including Hawaii, Canada and Mexico. (He's somehow managed to miss Michigan and Alaska.)

A lot of people I know love Spokane.

Rain in Seattle means 9 months of the year. I think 2 months of snow and 1 month of sun. No kidding. Portland is less snow, 11 months of some sort of percipitation and Aug is 100 degrees. (My pet peeve was listening to everyone complain they wanted the rain to quit, and then listening to them complain when it quit that it was too hot!) I think this year they had quite a drought there too. But usually, lots of rain and plenty of grass to mow!

Be careful though, there are those of us like me, who love the subtropical rain there, and others like David whose moods are clearly affected. Seattle is the suicide capital of the world, they say.

If David had his way, number one place to move is Maui. He worked there on a pinapple plantation.

Florida....I'm allergic to something in FL. Everytime we cross the state line I start sneezing.

I love SLC. And David would like to move there too...helps we already belong to the culture. But, it IS desert. They have to work really hard to get the grass green, including flooding their yards. Literally.

In GA there is Valdosta and Macon. David and I were originally going to move to Valdosta after we helped his family here. But, we never made it. But, everyonce and a while David is like "We need to move to Valdosta."

Here in Lower AL we've seen a lot of growth from the "Half-Backs" (People who move to FL and then move half-way back because of heat or hurricanes). The Carolina's have been getting a lot of that too.

9. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Spokane is several hundred miles from Seattle. I am not sure Spokane gets the rain as bad as the coastal areas get.

My friend there is a firefighter, we know each other from a internet forum like this one only it is for gyroplanes and light helicopters not lawns. I flew into Spokane and spent a few days there. It was in January and to me it wasn't any colder there than it is here in the Carolinas at that time of the year.

We drove up to Mount Spokane and did some skiing - my first time - and it was a blast! We drove around and checked out the sights the area has to offer and needless to say I loved the place.

At the end of my stay we drove to Seattle and spent the night there, and I caught a flight back home the next morning. It was ironic, the day we went to Seattle, the Carolina Panthers were playing The Seahawks or whatever the team there is - I am not up to date on Sports! - in the playoffs or maybe it was the Superbowl...? It was the winter before last.... Anyway, we walked around Seattle and the city seemed to be really neat, the people there were cool and overall I just really liked this part of the country. It is a big move, but it certainly will get you out of Georgia. Here are some pics I took on that trip....

spokane trip (8).jpg

10. Rons Rightway Lawncare

another one

spokane (1).jpg