Thinking about Next Season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greatdane612001, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Greatdane612001

Greatdane612001 LawnSite Member

I know for the most of us this season isn't over with, But have you givin it any thought about how your going to run differently next season?
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I's called

I just turned 48 last week and can still keep up to my 21 year old guys (some even better). But next year, I'm gonna take myself off the mowers a whole bunch and personally slow down and manage more.

Guess I got that from jimlewis and his posts.

LLMSERVICE LawnSite Member

I'm reviewing what/how/why I did things this past year and am putting my operating plan together for next year, including asking my clients what they want to see.

I'm looking at what equipment I need to improve operations and how I'm going to make better use of time. Yes, delegation is a big part of that.

Doing an annual review and planning for the next year now is a good thing.
  4. dhicks

dhicks Member

Yes. I have given considerable thought to how I'm going to operate next year. First of all, I'm going to start dropping accounts and do only accounts that I enjoy doing. I'm going to vacation and travel more and not work weekends. That about sums it up for this dude.
  5. Shannon Phillips

Shannon Phillips LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I am trying to figure out how to become more time efficient, get everything into my PDA and grow, grow, grow. As long as I can still enjoy cutting I will be here.
  6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

My back is telling me a dump truck is in the future,, immediate future. Darn leaves. Going to look closer at our customer base and try to get more $$ doing other jobs from each account when we are there already. We have people asking for extra work but we are usually too busy to do it, might cut out some small accounts to make the time.
  7. Mack

Mack LawnSite Member

I have tried to figure out if it is time to get some help to build the business. I have maxed out for next year, but it i get one person I can grow more. The question is, is it worth it if i have to pay help and insurance and all that, but the money is there. I also think it time to pay my wife for what she has done for this business and kid while i have been out all day. Just putting in my 2 cents.
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Next year I'm going to look back at things that I messed up on this year and fix them. I've got all my equipment ready to go, after going through buying about $6,000 of equipment the end of the summer (WB, trailer, racks, etc.). I will also be taking on about another 15 lawns or so. A fellow LCO is downsizing and has a bunch of accounts on the lake in front of my house (about 10 or more of them) and they're quite nice accounts so he will just give me those and another guy is quitting all together so I will end up with a few of his. Add that to the 12 accounts that I have already and I'm going to be seriously busy next year. Next summer I plan to do more landscaping. I love that kind of stuff. I'm more into moving dirt (hehehe) than anything, so I might advertise a little for light grading and such, nothing too difficult. Those are my plans.
  9. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

i am going to look at how we did things this year, then implement changes next season. we want to strive for 100% customer satisfaction and that means making changes where we have become weakened through the years. the changes will be in a company manual and it will be the law with my company.
  10. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

this winter I plan on having a web site designed so that my customers can log in and see when I am coming next and any work that is planned to be done. This will hopefully eliminate some phone calls that I recieve. I will also offer online payment which will hopefully make billing easier. If any of you know any LCO's websites that have this I would appreciate the address so that I can have some examples.