Thinking about purchasing 2 chariots

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pinnacle, Jul 21, 2003.

1. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Got a demo on a Great Dane 25hp Chariot 52" on Friday and like these mowers a lot for not having demoed it yet and am seriously considering purchasing two. Good? No good? Any thing you think one should know before buying 2.

2. b & t lawn care

b & t lawn care LawnSite Member

We have a Chariot jr 23 hp 52 cut great match .The cut is great, stripes nice , spreads clippings great . Ours is 4 years old, have had no problems with frame at 450 hrs . Only problems we have had is hydro pumps, which have no fans to help move the heat , & control linkages on pump arms wear out which gives erratic movement of wheel control, but it has been over some very ruff lawns. It will mow side to side on hills no problem. Even after all the problems, we still like the mower . It really mows!!!!!!!! We also have a Walker GHS and the chariot will out spread the Walker in wet grass . We do run the gator blades, high lift, on the Chariot tho. The Walker is the main used mowing machine, and the Chariot is the stand-by. The Chariot is one of the strongest built machines that we have found.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Call the dealer, and tell them you need some part for that mower, and see if they have it. If they dont ask them what decade they might get it in. I had to go 140 miles for a used pto a few weeks ago. Just for kicks i am still calling daily to see when one will be available close by.......maybe tomorow, if the UPS man is good to him.

4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

My dealer carries both Great Danes and Wright Standers. He says that he's going to drop the Dane line because it's impossible to get parts in a timely manner.

5. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

yes....demo a few other machines!! Then decide...;)

6. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a '99 61" 25hp chariot and just a few weeks ago bought a 61" 25hp chariot LX if you can at all get the LX . with the suspension seat and larger air filter it is much more comfortable to run.

They both do a great job and I am very happy with them.

Jim

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Just a head's up. I noticed that there is a new 2003 61" 25hp Kawi Chariot LX on Ebay with no reserve and it's currently at about half price of a new one with less than a day left. It's in Dallas and must be picked up, though, or I'd be tempted to bid. Someone local might find a bargain.

8. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you like the new deck? From the pictures I thought it looked ridiculous. Then I saw one at the dealer up in the air. From the pics, I couldn't see that the front of the deck was open.

I do have a 99 chariot too. A little clumpy in wet grass, but they may have fixed that problem in the new ones. Mechanically it's been fine. Had the exhaust push rod brake twice, once under warranty. That was a pain, but other than that, just the idler pullies and belts at around 1200 hrs.

I think my linkages might be wearing out, it's a little jumpy in tight areas.

9. pinnacle

Bruce I am In Australia. But thanks for that anyway.

10. pinnacle

Thanks for the info guys. I hope Iam making the right decision