Thinking about returning JD X320 (long)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guambomb, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Guambomb

Guambomb LawnSite Member
    from OKC, OK

I just bought an X320 2 days ago and so far I've been pretty dissapointed. I've had an L120 for the past couple of years and thought I'd upgrade. I expected a better cut but I didn't get it. I emphasized to the dealer that a smooth cut was my number one priority and must have mentioned to him at least 4 times to ensure they leveled the deck prior to delivery which he insisted they would. After delivery, I brought the mower to my back yard, set the deck level to 3 inches, adjusted the anti-scalp wheels to 1/4 inch off the ground and engaged the blade. Within the first 4 feet I scalped the grass on the right side. Several more nice circles appeared in the grass as I slowly went up the small hill towards my back porch. My smart a** friend immediately pointed it out "ha ha you scalped the yard". My wife is also watching me test drive my new $4000 dollar lawn mower and probably wondering why I spent so much money on something that cuts worse than my old L120. I immediately disengaged the blade and put the mower on level ground. I lowered the right side anti-scalp wheels another notch and did a few more passes in the back yard. The right side was still cutting lower than the left. Today I brought the mower into the garage and checked the deck. Sure enough the right side was lower than the left. I leveled it out and took it out for some passes in the front yard. I somehow managed to scalp the right side again if I was at even the slightest angle. I also noticed about 20 dead spots in the grass in the back where I mowed the day before. This leads me to believe that something is leaking from my new mower and killing the grass. It did seem to be sucking down the gas pretty quick. I have 1.5 acres with some hills/small bumps and slight banks. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to talk to them about returning it. I'm thinking about replacing it with a Simplicity tractor due to the full floating deck. I'm pretty anal about my yard and just want to find a mower that won't scalp it or leave an obvious lower cut on one side or the other. Anyone here have experience with Simplicity tractors full floating decks on small bumps and angles? Thanks.

2. Guambomb

Guambomb LawnSite Member
    from OKC, OK

Dealer came and picked up the mower yesterday. He seemed disinterested in looking at the scalp's and dead spots in my grass but I showed them to him anyway since he looked at me like I was a liar at the dealership. I'm done with JD for a while. My L120 keeps chugging along but the quality of cut leaves me wanting something better. Tomorrow I'm taking a 75 mile road trip to check out a new 2005 Simplicity Prestige. If everythig works out, I'll bring it home. I can post pictures of the scalping/dead spots if anyone's interested.

3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Nah, no one really cares.

4. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

.\

just kidding. THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS.:canadaflag:

5. Guambomb

Guambomb LawnSite Member
    from OKC, OK

First two photo's show the first glorious seconds on my old x320. The third photo is one of many circular scalps. The 4th photo shows the dead spots caused by the mysterious leak from somewhere. The last shows more right side scalping on a slight incline. You can see some areas where the grass is still growing in over the trenches they dug for the sprinkler system a few weeks ago. Enjoy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I wonder if one of the blades were put on upside down :hammerhead: and since it was a new mower, they might of had the fluids topped off and when the mower got hot some may have over flowed

wayne

7. Guambomb

Guambomb LawnSite Member
    from OKC, OK

It's possible. Whatever the problem was, I'm glad they have their 30 day return policy at JD. I looked at a brand new 2005 Simplicity Prestige today (50inch deck, power steering, 20hp Kohler etc) and I'm going back Monday to pick it up. They're selling it dirt cheap at $3800. They also have a 54 inch deck 23hp Prestige for $4400. I'm pretty confident this mower will give me the cut I'm looking for.