Thinking about selling out.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Jun 28, 2005.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I've been in the business since '92 on a part-time, then full-time basis. Competition is not a factor, just the soaring overhead costs of insurance, trucks, equipment, and a warehouse. '

I have awesome commercial and residential accounts. I have created a tremendous network of affiliate mowing companies and vendors. My employees are dedicated and work very hard.

Doesn't it sound like everything a guy would want? Everything but $$$. I became spoiled in past years by a professional salary and cannot make the same money in this business full-time. The business has grown dramatically, but it requires that I manage the operation and the clients, rather than earn money in the field.

I believe it is time to shop for someone to take over the operation / clients.

Just wanted to share with some folks who understand what it means to give it your all, stay legal, and fight the good fight.

:help:

2. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

What are your numbers?

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Get rid of the employees, do it yourself.

I did this 4 years ago, after having 7 guys working for me, and after readjusting my accounts, getting pay raises do to me being onsite each time, selling myself, last year I grossed more than I did with the 7 guys working for me.

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Thats a problem alot of us would like to have! There has got to be a way to turn a good profit. Talk to some good LCO here and I'm sure you will figure out a way to cut cost and make more money. First of all I'm a novice but any truck will pull equipment, the largest one around here still used an old international scout or something similar that looks worn out but he has the best business accounts around. Maybe you could find ways to make your mowers last longer between trade ins. There are definately more cost effective ways to store equipment than a warehouse. There are too many good people on here making a living in area's with lots of competition. I hope one of them can help you. Good luck.

5. OnMyOwn

I did not share all of the information in the first post. I have quite a bit of debt load from a business venture with a new partner three years ago. He put it to me last November and I had to leave with large debt in truck payments and equipment payments.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Ahhhh yes.... the always loveable partner deal.

7. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Now your stuck paying for the other half of your business that your partner got out. That stinks, you should have never gotten into the partnership they just don't work out and somebody usually ends up getting screwed, Thats a tough decision to make and something that you have to make on your own!

8. elamey

elamey LawnSite Member

Where are you located? Your profile says central indiana, I live in evansville.

Good luck
    Eric Lamey
    eric@ericlamey.com

9. OnMyOwn

Live and operate on the southside of Indy. Greenwood / Franklin area!