1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about starting business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by erjola, Jul 15, 2007.

1. erjola

erjola LawnSite Member
    from eastern

I am looking for some honest input as to where to begin. Currently, I work full-time in sales, and part-time/weekends for a large landscaping business. I have been working on the landscaping job, simply because i enjoy the work. My friend and I are seriously thinking about starting our own landscaping business, and was wondering what steps we should take first, and roughly how much. We live in a thriving area where it would not be hard to get the business rolling. Any serious help would be appreciated.
  2. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

3. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

Could be difficult for you and your customers working on a part time basis. Working for another company part time is ok because they are there full time to take care of everything. As you know landscaping is labor intensive enough, but now as this is your business you have to do everything yourself, and everything is a lot. Tools of just about every trade are required at some point and then you have the uncooperative weather and shorter days later in the year. Full time landscapers pound their heads on their trucks do to down time. But your part time and if it rains the weekend, your fudged. I'm sure you figured all this into your decision and I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I would keep things the way they are now with you enjoying the work part time with an established company, unless you are looking for a career change into the landscape industry. Good luck either way.
  4. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

Greg1 is right, working part-time may not fly with commercial accounts. The good thing is that you already have some experience and that sure beats starting without any knowledge. Landscaping should bring in plenty of money, but I have not stepped into that aspect of the lawn care industry. I'm the basic mow and blow small company (about 70-75 accounts), but also offering hedge trimming.

Don't let anyone tell you that it can't be done, just take into consideration the amount of time involved with running a landscaping business. You may be better off doing the landscaping business over sales. Good luck and ask plenty of questions before making a big decision.