Thinking About Switching To All Bagging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DSLND, Dec 23, 2006.

1. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Been thinking alot lately, what can stand me out from alot of the LCO's here in town and i thought nobody bags all of their yards (or at least non of the big companies) and razorman has retired from mowing for now and he bagged all of his. Ive got a good feeling that all my customers would go for it and i enjoy the look of a bagged yard and i think it would be easy now that ive got the Wb for my smaller yards vs. my super recycler and am purchasing the bagger for the Z soon. I think the only yards i wouldnt bag would be my 3 acre and up yards where it would just not be worth bagging but i think it could work well and really stand me out from alot of my competition. What do you think? -Mitch-

2. i thought about this also, but thank goodness i realized i was dreaming and started having some better dreams.

3. DSLND

Im thinking about it. We really need some snow to get my mind of cutting. Suppost to be 50 degrees on CHRISTMAS! Come on give me a blizzard not spring weather! LOL -Mitch-

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard of a few people bagging all of their lawns, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out what they do with all the grass. If I were to bag all of my lawns, the back of the truck plus half the trailer would be full of grass by noon. This would take a ton of extra time plus what a PITA. Considering what I would have to charge for this, no one would go for.

5. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

Bagging?

Thats crazy talk.. lol... I guess that could be your unique selling proposition, but still.. sounds like a paid unless you have some super super efficeint way of doing it...

Are you a part timer?

6. DSLND

True. Just thinking of some stuff. Yea u could consider me a part timer only 13 and had about 12 weekly accounts but looking into 30 next year with full time helper with license vs. pops with jeep! LOL -Mitch-

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Here's my problem with bagging...

With most yards it extends cutting time by 10 minutes, without getting into too much detail, it has also been mentioned that literally cubic yards of clippings have to be dumped into the trailer and carried down the road (not to mention 100's of pounds of extra weight).

Then, unloading the mess is an easy extra 15-20 minutes total as well, but really 20-30...
    Hopefully you can dump this stuff without a dump fee, keeping in mind you'll have a fair pile going in short time, but lets assume there is no dump fee.
    So, for the sake of argument, assume 15 extra minutes / yard spent.

Yet, the magic figure I find most customers are willing to pay extra for it is: $5.00

That unfortunately sums it up for me.

8. DSLND

topsites: We have .5 acre of woods here and i can dump on our trails or in the ditch here and then i burn it at the beginning of every season. Because most of my yards are .5 acre and up i would have to charge more like 20-25 dollars more. -Mitch-

9. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

And are we all forgetting that bagging reduces nutrients being put back into the lawn and that can make a lawn unhappy. But hey if you want to sell them a monster fert program then go ahead.

10. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

If your bagging every lawn then there's less clean up, such as blowing the clumps. Or blowing off the street and driveway/walk way. In May/June it will be an amazing amount of grass to pick up. If the grass is wet, then you ain't going to be picking it up, in those two months
    (in NewEngland).

I have a dump from the seat grass vac. If I have 3 or more yards in the same area, then I dump all the grass in one place. I suck it all up with my Little Wonder 23 horse leaf/grass loader and blow it into my truck box. My truck box is a leaf box that I keep on my truck all year. It works well.