thinking about this

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by thelawnboss, May 18, 2008.

1. thelawnboss

thelawnboss LawnSite Member

Do many lawn care guys also do seal coating? We are thinking about it as a way to supplement our normal income. What do you guys think ? i have had a few customers ask about it, we would only do hand applied stuff for now, is it that hard to do? i have no experience with it, but have an interest. Let me know what you all think. Thanks

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think you'd be happy doing that !!

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

i dont know how many lawn guys do seal coating , but we do seal coating and we are thinking about adding lawn service to supplement our normal income. We seal about 700 drives a season ,it wouldnt be a problem to get a good portion of these customers to switch to us . I am sure I could come in cheaper than some one that does it for a living .

I own 2 seperate and different businesses , a sealcoat business and a irrigation business , both are specialized . We dont paint houses ,mow lawns , cut trees or do landscaping , we leave those jobs to those trades . My point is if you want to get in to the business of sealcoating , then buy the equipment and do it right .If you just want to make extra money , dont complain when a bunch of guys with their riding tractors start cutting your customers grass..................for extra money

4. thelawnboss

that is really part of the problem now, we are getting lowballed left and right, we easily went from being able to gross 100 an hour to barely 60-65. The market for mowing here is just going down hill quick....trying to figure out what our best course of action is.

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Welcome to the new economy , We starter to get lean and mean 2 tears ago.
    The majority of those on this board havent seen lean times , I bought my first house at 12 per cent interest , which was good at the time. The economy is correcting , and I believe it will get worse before it gets better

6. EWS

EWS LawnSite Member

I agree too many lowballers and people doing half ass work... perfect example today it was 30 degrees when i woke up high 60 I watched a crew seal half of our a large chain store today. I drove by a few hours later and the striper already striped the parking lot..... How long is that going to last. typical.... This parking lot was in such bad shape it should of been re-paved. i would be embarressed to do that job. Theses guys are charging 5-7 c a sq ft.

7. MisterRatburn

MisterRatburn LawnSite Member
    from NY

:clapping: Poor guy's only making $65.00/hour now. I feel for ya!

8. MisterRatburn

MisterRatburn LawnSite Member
    from NY

And when it needs to get done again.. these guys will get the job again because they're so much cheaper. People don't know how long Sealcoat is supposed to last. Do you think the average person has any idea?? They think it's something that needs to be done every year. I don't do sealcoating for a business, but as a spectator of the forum I can see that people with expensive equipment seem to want to justify their high prices because they show up with a nice truck, trailer, and spray unit.

The reality of it is that MOST people don't know that an expensive unit does a much better and longer lasting job. Most people just think that the expensive unit only makes it quicker and easier for the worker to do the job.... and they don't care if it's easier for you to do the job!! They care about their checkbooks! People don't research driveway sealing before they call someone to do the job.

That's why the little guy will always steal work from you guys. Fact of life!!

9. thelawnboss

you have to realize, expenses now run between 35 and 40 an hour, some wouldnt think that 20-25 an hour would be good, but that is what takes care of taxes and what little i can into savings. So you may think i am whining about that, but at 65 we dont really MAKE much.

10. EWS

EWS LawnSite Member

Exactly 65 a hr isnt ****. we have to pay for our equipment, trucks,advertising, fuel,sealer,paint, propane, taxes,insurance,phone bills. and so on. so If I have 50-75k invested in my business I better be making at least 65 a hour. I wont even do a job for under 200.00 even if its 500 sq ft. its 200