Thinking about V-10 F-450

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Gravel Rat, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Well I'am not impressed with the PSD I need a fuel pump its going to cost me 300 for the pump and another 250 for installation. I have a feeling this is just the start of the pain in the azz problems.

As you know I'am not impressed with the fuel mileage of the PSD aka 12 mpg. The price of diesel here is roughly .47 cents more per gallon over regular gas.

I'am also thinking about going back to a 7.3 IDI if I can find one. Here is the thing I can find a few nice F-450 4x4s for a nice decent price not like a overly inflated price for a high mileage PSD.

What are you guys getting with your V-10 powered Fords ?

I have todo another oil change on the PSD I just paid 28 dollars for a filter have to buy another 50 dollars of Delo 400. I put the scheduled amount of mileage on the truck in about 3.5 months.

I gotta get rid of this truck the transmission is failing I guess its seen too much abuse as the truck was a tow truck. Then there was wrong oil put in the transmission I didn't know untill I changed it so I think the gear oil starved the bearings in the ZF. When I have the truck in 5th gear the stick wiggles back and forth like a dog wagging its tail. I can hold the stick against one side and you can feel like a bumping action like something is loose.

Anyhow thats beside the point I'am interested in is a V-10 worth it I don't tow heavy weights I carry heavy loads but not on a regular basis.

2. bobcatboy

bobcatboy LawnSite Member

well, I have a 2005 f-350 3 valve v-10, plenty of power. I tow regulay and I get about 7-10 towing and about 12-13 empty. Towing mileage is with 15000 behind the truck.

3. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you want a spark plug squirter?

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

We had one ford when I was younger it was an IDI 7.3 Diesel from what I can remember there were never any problems with it, I think that v-10 is just gonna be a gas pig.

5. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i am a gm guy all the way but my old idi is one of the best trucks i've had. not to great for power but very reliable. what i like best is if it does break down it is easy to work on. the milage on a recent trip was 16 mpg. doesn't ride like a gm but it does the work. for the money its hard to beat.
    metin

6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

The V10 is a good powerful puller, but if you think 12 mpg is bad with an F450, (it's not that bad) you won't be happy getting 7-10 with the V10. It will cost you just as much if not more for fuel. I don't have a V10 truck, but I have a class C E450 motorhome with 4.63 gears, and while it has good power, it NEVER gets any better than 8 mpg. Even empty I doubt you'll get much better with an F450. With a pickup probably 13 or so empty on the highway. It takes oats to feed them horses.

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Thats what I want to find out is how piggy are the V-10s I never owned one and ya I know the older ones had problems with blowing out plugs.

Right now the price difference in fuel is 47 cents per US gallon so on average fill up of my current truck it costs me 4.70 more over gas its not much.

I have to spend 500 bucks to get the lift pump repaired on my truck for a mechanical pump its 300 bucks plus another 200 bucks to have it installed :cry:

I know the saying once you have gone to diesel you never go back well I haven't owned a gasser truck since 1999. The 88 F-450 I had was 460 gas it was a thristy truck and that was when gas was considered "cheap" aka 2.15 per US gallon us funds or 68.9 cents per litre now regular gas is 2.85 per US gallon or 90 cents per litre. Back when I had the 88 diesel fuel was cheaper than gas it was around 1.97 per US gallon or 62 cents per litre now diesel fuel is 1.04 per litre CND

So roughly what I pay for diesel which is 1.04 per litre would be you guys in the states would pay .89 cents per quart for regular gas you guys would be paying .77 cents per quart.

Right now my PSD will cost me to go 62 miles 18.96 dollars american or 22.34 canadian. If I can get a V-10 to do the same average 11 mpg it would cost me to go 62 miles 16.40 US or 19.17 canadian.

Which really isn't much difference fuel burn wise but a V-10 would be a little cheaper to maintain when you think it of it for a remaned drop in PSD is around 7000 dollars CND.

To replace the injectors in a PSD would cost me 3160 dollars yikes for me to replace the injectors on a IDI is 440 dollars then do the injection pump 695 dollars 1135 dollars is a far cry from 3160 dollars. Oh ya with the PSD injectors if the Core isn't good enough a rebuilt injector is 600 dollars each :dizzy:

I'am really considering another IDI too if I can find one sure they are not big on power but they are cheap to fix.

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Think of it this way, your spending $4.70 more on diesel to gas.

You'll get about 7-8 mpg with the V-10, which according to gas prices here, would be about $23 US to drive 62 miles.

Your spending $18 US to drive your PSD, thats a $5.25 difference, subtract the $4.70 and your still saving .55 for driving diesel.

9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Honestly i'd stay with what you have, 12mpg is great for any truck over 1ton. My 2005 2500hd w/6.0 (4:10 gear) gas only gets 10.5mpg UNLOADED about 9.5 LOADED. If i were you i would be happy with that PSD's fuel mileage.

10. bobcatboy

bobcatboy LawnSite Member

yaeh the v-10 is fuel hungry, but the v-10 cost of up keep and maintenece is alot cheaper. You have to look at the cost of ownership between the two. Yes the diesel will get better gas mileage but the money you save in fuel you will soak that up and them some keeping it. The diesel option only pays you back if you plan on keeping the thing for over 120k. I have the 05 v-10, IT is the best gas engine out there for a heavy truck. check out the www.fordtruck.com go to the v-10 forum post your questions and you get all the info on this great engine in there.