Thinking ahead some, leaf loading

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kc2006, Jun 1, 2004.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm planning ahead (far ahead) and I was wondering what the smaller companies here do for leaves? Or the part timers even.

I have a place to dump the leaves for free but I don't have a dump, a dump insert, a loader or a box. I'm just planning on what to do this fall its been on my mind alot, fall is a big money maker around here and I dont want to wait until a week before the leaves are falling to worry about it. I can make a box very easily but I was wondering if anyone loads the leaves differently then with a leaf loader/vac and then how you dump it?

Thanks for the help :D

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

This is how I handle leaves in the fall.

grain truck complete.jpg

3. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

I have the commercial cyclone rake.
    Its pretty slick.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

everytime I see that setup of yours walker I drool

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

heres a different set up i had on my old dump trailer.

6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Hows the cyclone rake work? never heard of it.

I wish i could afford the loaders and dumps but I cant at least not this year. Thats why i'm trying to get other ideas on how to do this.

I was thinking about charging to gather the leaves into a pile and then have another company remove them with a loader, then just tack that onto the bill for the customer. Anyone do that?

7. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty nice looking "old" trailer. I wish I could find an old beater like that.

8. jalawn

jalawn LawnSite Member

Before I had all the fancy equipment, I used to have a 6 x 12 trailer with 4 foot metal sides, and we used to fill it up with leaves. Them we would jump in the trailer to compact them, and load some more.( I was being serious ) We'd throw a tarp over them, and take them to the dump. We had to use big snow shovels to unload it, but it worked. You gotta do what you gotta do...

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I applaud the fact that you are thinking ahead.

10. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

Leaves, leaves, unfortunetly I am not going to be able to let them lay around for another year, just murder on the lawn.
    is there a descent sweeper out there for leaves, or does a vacuum work the best?