Thinking of becoming an lco

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rikmn, May 14, 2005.

1. rikmn

rikmn LawnSite Member

I'm 40 yrs old and have spent the last 22 years in the heavy construction industry as a heavy equipment operator and project manager. I was thinking of starting a groundskeeping company because the only job I ever really loved to do was when I was 16 and worked for the local school district mowing and doing upkeep on 5 schools, although if I do start this company my wife and oldest son will do most of the day to day work. I noticed most of the posts on this site are from warmer climates, we are in minnesota, where the season can be short. maybe some folks from the north can comment on that issue.

2. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

22 years?? you better start looking for a desk job!
    maybe get a city or county job, all they do is stand around.

3. rikmn

rikmn LawnSite Member

city and county dont pay nearly as much as the union, and standing around isnt something i like to do

4. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Why? Because he's 40? He is still a young man. No age is the wrong age to start a new career.

5. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Age has nothing to do with it. One of the companies we contract with the guy is at least late 40's and goes harder then even I do. He even sent home his helper one day after he wasn't happy with her work and did the next 2 days solo.

6. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

You can look into snow removal, not sure what it takes,,,,,but I know some folks do that in the winter!!!Good luck!!

7. Lawn Wolf

Lawn Wolf LawnSite Member
    from 77090

Oh yeah !!! There are a lot of 40 year old that's athletic as the young ones. As a matter of fact they have a better angle due to experience. The older folks have learned from their past young mistakes and go at it better. :blob3:

8. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

rikmn,

Don't listen to the "kids" I started my own Lawn & Landscape company this year and I will be 40 in June. I walked out of a job at a company I had been with twenty-one years, mainly because after fifteen in manufacturing the last five being in an office was killing me (factory closed so it was office or nothing).

Since leaving Feb 18 this year things have been pleasantly surprising, true its hard work, especially being solo, but your working for yourself and the end results mean much more. Personally I've never been happier in my working life and I know I can support my family of wife and four daughters. No we won't set any financial records this year, but I am learning alot and we won't starve. We will be able to cover costs of business, pay our bills and my wife is a stay at home mom, although she does substitute teach once in a while.

Anyway bottom line is do what your heart and guts tell you, heck no 40 is not to old.

Good Luck

-Geoff

P.S. forgot to mention make sure you Plan...Pray... and know what your costs are business and personal.

9. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

WOW this is a funny one. i think the guys around here went out a total of about 5 times. i tell you what go for it :cool:

10. rikmn

rikmn LawnSite Member

I plow snow already, went out about 5 times, kinda sucked. snow is feast or famine, I really didnt miss the 35 hour shifts though