Thinking of buying a laptop for truck.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by David Hartzog, Jun 19, 2007.

1. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

I am so thrilled about the idea of updating my records to a paperless system.

here's what i am going to do...

get a laptop, mounted to my dash somehow. programs--lawn care program, clocking in employees, routing my schedual, making notes for the accounts while i am actually still on the job, gps, tracking, wireless internet, and be able to print contracts or other info for the customers right there...from a small printer in the backseat. then im going to get one of those keychain sized tranporter things and bring the info into the house every night so my wife can enter it into the desktop for permant records.

what do you think and what else can i do?
  2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it's a good idea. Been thinking along the exact same lines.
  3. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a good idea
  4. slclawn

slclawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

I have one of mine in the truck but make sure it does not get hot or set in the sun they don't like that to much. Some times if it's real sunny out you cant see the screen.
  5. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

2 things i did not think of. great, thanks for the tip.

how much memory should i have?
  6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i got a laptop that me and brother switch up in the trucks i like especially for plowing i dont have it mounted just sits on my center consoule
  7. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

are you buying new? if so it will be wth vista installed. I currently run a gig of ram on my laptop, works fairly well with vista..

Im now thinking that you were talking about hardrive memory..

ive always had plenty of memory with 80 gbs, i now have 120 gigs, and its just wasted space..
  8. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

what's vista?
  9. slclawn

slclawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

One of mine is a 30 the other is an 80 and no problems with space. you can put you music on them to and load your mp3 player in the truck.
  10. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member